1. one way or another

I walked into the bar not really knowing what to expect. I just moved to Oulu from Turku and knew absolutely no one. When I got my acceptance letter to the University of Oulu I was ecstatic. It's a great university, and I'm getting my bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering. Despite my excitement to attend the university, I was still depressed over the fact I had to move 7 and a half hours away from my family and friends. I've been moping around my flat for the past week and I decided, well more forced myself, to go out and try to have some fun.

I went to a local bar, about an 8-minute car ride from campus, called Oluthuone Leskinen. The second I walked in I noticed a huge group of six guys huddled in a corner downing shots like it was water. They looked like self-centered assholes with their dark clothes and obnoxious jewelry. Now don't get me wrong, they were all hot as fuck, but it felt conceited. After realizing I probably looked creepy staring at them, I walked over to the bar to get a drink. "Could I get a negroni please?" I asked the bartender absentmindedly. I needed to loosen up, and this was always my pregame drink back home. The bartender brought me my drink and I took a sip. It reminded me of home. Fuck this, I'm too old to be homesick.

I was sitting at the bar making small talk with the bartender who, as it turned out, also used to live in Turku. I was talking with her when I felt someone bump into me and something fall into my lap. Furthermore, I notice him as one of the men from the group of 6. He kept on walking as if he didn't just bump into me. I also notice that what fell into my lap was his wallet. I excuse myself from the bar and chase him down. Finally, I caught up to him and tried to get his attention.

"Hey excuse me. Um, I was wondering if-," I shouted to him. He turned around, and I noticed his beautiful blue eyes and curly blonde hair that had a mind of its own. He was wearing tight black ripped jeans, a black t-shirt, a jean jacket, and a leather jacket over top. Furthermore, he sported a nose ring too, and I found myself unable to look away. "Sorry, no autographs tonight," he said, turning away from me. Confusion spread across my face. "Autographs? Why would I want an autograph from you?" I asked, genuinely confused as to who this man was. "Why would you want- did you watch Eurovision this year?" he asked me smirking, which, annoyingly, made me blush. I had met this man only a few seconds prior and I was already blushing. "I- um," I stuttered, forming my response. "Joonas. What's taking so long, dude?" one of his friends yelled at him. He had blonde hair that looked exactly like mine. "Sorry doll face, I got to bounce," the strange man called Joonas winked at me. He ran off, and I just stood in the same spot, not comprehending what just happened. After coming to my senses, I realized I was still holding his wallet. I felt so awkward literally following him around, but I really didn't want to steal his belongings.

Once again, I walked up towards the blonde man, except this time he was sitting with the rest of his group. I felt as if I were in upper secondary school again. I built up the courage to walk up there and when I reached their table none of them noticed me. Well, that is until one of them with long brown hair noticed me, "Can we help you?". I immediately was embarrassed and felt my face burning up. Right when he said that, Joonas' eyes turned from the man with the long blonde hair to me. His eyes lit up, those gorgeous eyes. "Oh hey, doll face. What are you doing here?" he asked, placing his chin on the palm of his hand, looking at me expectantly. I felt 5 pairs of eyes join Joonas' in looking at me. Without saying anything, I held out my hand, which held his wallet. His eyes widened, and he grabbed it out of my hand, thanking me profusely. I turned around to leave when I heard a voice call me back. "Hey," I turned, and it was the man with shoulder-length blonde hair. "We never caught your name," he said, scratching his neck. "That's because I never gave it," I quickly said. I turned to leave again but was stopped. "Come on, let us buy you a drink. Let us repay you for not stealing my friend's wallet." he pleaded. I felt as if I had no choice. My first impression was severely off, they seemed really genuine. "Fine, one drink." I rolled my eyes towards them.