11. the show must go on

"Aggie, I got the job!" I yelled into my sisters' ear. I read the email from the ice rink and immediately called my sister, Agatha. Our parents obviously love Halloween very much, enough to name my sister after Agatha in Halloweentown.

"Ooh that's great Tish! I have to go now though, mom just came called for supper. Promise you'll facetime me later?" She asks me. I tell her yes and put my phone down when I heard the click of the line.

Looking at my phone, I noticed three missed calls from Aleksi. I also saw a couple texts from Joel.

@joelhokka: Mort, please. Can you listen to us please

@morticiaantilla: joel i need you to understand what you did was hurtful.

@joelhokka: Look Mort, I get it. I'm sorry just please, hear me out.

@morticiaantilla: sure.

When I replied, Joel called me. I took a deep breath before pressing accept.

"Hey Joel." I said quietly setting my phone in front of me. Conveniently, he facetimed me so I could see every single expression.

"Hey Morticia, just hear me out okay." He pleaded. I watched him carefully as he took a deep breath.

"So, Niko and I wanted to see if Joonas liked you or not. He seemed very much, let's say, excited that you met us that night. While you and Joonas were in the bathroom, I pitched this idea to Niko that we should get Aleksi to flirt with you. Niko agreed, obviously, and so we asked him to flirt." he started. I didn't move, I just stared and watched him stress.

"Get to the point will you." I said monotonously.

"Anyways, we asked him and he reluctantly agreed. He really didn't want to but we convinced him. He was great at flirting with you but I don't think he was entirely acting. We all really liked you but, we noticed Joonas was completely enamoured by you and we wanted to see if he liked you romantically. I know I can speak for all of us when we saw there weren't any bad intentions." I could tell he really meant what he was saying. That didn't mean I wasn't mad though.

"Okay now please, yell at me all you want. But before you do, I have one question." Joel said when he saw me opening my mouth to speak.

"Go on." I said.

"Don't get mad but, why are you upset? Like, why are you the one that's mad? Shouldn't Joonas be the one upset not you? Like I just want to know why you're mad?" He asked me cautiously. He was genuinely curious and I didn't know how to answer that.

For a couple minutes I sat there and wondered. Why was I mad? What they did was hurtful. Was it?

"Mort I've been thinking. Is it possible that the reason you care so much is because you like Joonas?" Joel asked me. At that all of my thoughts stopped and my jaw dropped.

"What!? Why would you ever think that?" I said, feeling the heat rise to my cheeks.

"Well, I mean I think Joonas should be the one mad at me. You care way more than he does. Yeah, he's upset but not as upset as you. I just think there has to be a reason you care so much. And a reason that you got so angry with us. So, I was just asking if you liked him." Joel explained himself to me. I mean it makes sense but like come on. Maybe Joonas just processes things differently. I don't know.

"Okay well whatever. I don't like Joonas and I have to go. I start a job tomorrow and it's getting late. So I'm going to go. See you around Joel." I said before hanging up

I went to bed as it was almost 10 pm and I didn't want to be late. During the night I rolled around thinking about what Joel said.

At 8 I woke up and got in my car. On my way I decided to turn on the radio. I was listening to the music when I heard a familiar intro. I had never heard this on the radio though. But it sounds so familiar. When the singer started I instantly recognised it as Niko. It was Dark Side. I had heard it playing at their studio from time to time. But I had never heard it on the radio. The second I realised it was them, I pressed the off button. I can drive to work in silence.

"Hey! You're Morticia right? I'm Arvo. I'm here to show you the ropes and everything." A nice man introduced himself to me when I walked in the building.

"Hey yeah I am. Nice to meet you Arvo." I said pulling off my sunglasses and placing them in my bag. He instructed me to follow him and he led me through the rink doors.

"Alright. So that's the place. Im going to start you off with Lotta over here at the front desk. There's a public skate at 11 so in about an hour people will start flooding in." Arvo walked me over to the front of the building and grabbed a chair for me to sit behind the desk.

The second he left, a gorgeous girl with long red hair walked over and took a seat. She looked over at me and with wide eyes smiled.

"Hey! I'm Lotta. So you're new right?" She asked me turning on her computer.

"Yeah, my first day. I'm Morticia." I smiled putting my purse under the desk.

"No way! That's such a sick name." She said putting her hands on the arm of the chair I was seated in.

"Excuse me ladies. I'm here to sign up for the stick & shoot at 10." A deep voice suddenly said. I hadn't been paying attention so I was startled when he started talking.

"Ah. Hello Karvo. You're lucky, there's one spot left." Lotta said handing him a clipboard and a pen. He filled out the row and handed back the clipboard. When I looked up at him, I was met with a beautiful man. He had shaggy brown hair and was wearing his hockey pants and a long sleeve shirt that clung to his muscles. He saw me looking at him and winked when we made eye contact. Then, he walked away and left me wondering who the hell he was.

"Umm. Lotta? Who was that?" I whipped my head towards her the second he left. She threw her head back and laughed.

"That's Karvo. He's been skating here since he was like 12. He's super nice and super single. He's like the Roy Kent of this rink. A fucking legend." She whispered that last part to me. I just nodded my head and turned back to the front.

Throughout the rest of my shift I could only think of the shaggy brown haired boy. The children and parents trying to buy skate passes and rental skates didn't matter. But he did.

My falling out with the 6 boys definitely sucked but like Mr. Freddy Mercury said, the show must go on. Maybe Karvo could be the right thing to help me continue the show. But if not, the show must still go on.

bruh.

if this is bad i'm so sorry it's late

BUT I FINALLY UPDATED AHAHAHAHA

okay so like idk if any of the rink terminology is right because i worked at an ice rink last summer and like this is how it worked but idk about different countries 😐😐. but i know what i'm talking about i promise 😐😐 i'm a figure skater #funfact

anyways i'll try not to like disappear for a month like i did this month 🤩🤩 but at least i got to eat turkey #thanksgiving

love you all <33