8. caravel

Waking up to a quiet apartment was how I normally started my days. Not this morning though, loud snores could be heard all around. I got up and brushed my teeth before making breakfast for the sleeping guys.

I went to the fridge and realised I was out of eggs so I decided I would walk to the farmer's market nearby.Writing a note explaining where I was, I grabbed my keys and my wallet before locking the door just because the boys were asleep.

I ran down the steps as fast as I could and I felt like a little kid. Going to the farmer's market was always so exciting, seeing what people grow is so interesting. Soon enough I was out on the street and I made my way to the busy market.

Walking towards the market I seemed to be distracted because almost immediately I ran into a woman with a dog.

"Oh my goodness I'm so sorry. I just spilled your drink all over you." I said stepping back and feeling awful.  She was wearing clothing that I knew wouldn't let a drink again get out easily.

"No no don't worry I needed to get this old thing dry cleaned anyways." She said laughing. I noticed she didn't sound like she was from here.

"Please, let me reimburse you. My name is Morticia and I'll give you my phone number. Just text or call when you get it done please it's the least I can do." I said whipping out my phone. She laughed and let me put my number in. I gave her dog a pet and apologised again before leaving. She left too but in the same direction as me.

"Are you heading to the farmer's market down here?" I asked her. "Yes I am. I loved farmer's markets growing up and since I just moved here I'm trying to get a sense of home I guess." she answered nervously. I figured I could be her friend if she was new.

"Oh really? Where did you move from?" I asked her trying to keep the conversation. "I'm from the UK so it's a big change." she nervously laughed.

"What made you come to Finland? I mean of all places why Finland?" I asked her trying to get her to laugh a little. She laughed again but this time with a little warmth. "Well I'm a teacher for the younger years. I'm teaching English as a sort of foreign language. The education system in Finland is incredible and I don't know I've loved Finland for quite a while." She said moving her hands around. I could tell she really was excited to teach.

"So since you introduced yourself to me, I figure I should introduce myself. I'm Ann." She said following a moment of silence. "Tervetuloa to Finland then, Ann."

We walked around the booths for about an hour and I really liked her. She told me that she's a flutist. Her dog is a husky named Benji. She's learning to play the bass. And so many other things. The fact that stuck out to me the most was that she's learning to play the bass.

"Hey, so this might be too soon but, I actually have a group of six guys fast asleep in my apartment right now. I was wondering if you wanted to come over for breakfast or just a coffee. Really anything. You seem super cool." I said as we carried our bags.

"Really? I don't know I don't want to impose on anything." She said swinging her dog's leash side to side.

"No I promise it won't be a problem. Plus it'll be good to have a girl over. I moved here from hours away and so far I've only interacted with these six guys. It's a testosterone overload. Please, if you're comfortable with it I think it could be fun." I said. I really wanted to her come over. She knows a bit about music so I think the guys being at the apartment right now was really convenient.

"Well, alright. If it's no bother." She said after a moments pause. I smiled and reassured her that there was no problem. I know it's kind of unsafe to invite a stranger into your house, but she seems super cool and it's not like there's anything worth stealing in my shitty two bedroom apartment. We made our way to my building.