Destiny, Duty, and Revenge

Voices loud and soft fill the space between lockers and walls. Big and small, bully and bullied. Everyone and anyone imaginable and unnoticed, all found within the confines of this small school. Arcadia Oaks High.

I walk through the same door I, among dozens of others walk through every day. The door opens up to a plain white classroom postered with maps and depictions of history. Momentarily blinded by the yellow light that shines through the eastern facing windows, my eyes refocus, and land on two familiar, and always comfurting faces. Toby Domzalski and Jim Lake. They notice me before I see them through the beams of sun and eagerly wave me over.

I smile warmly and head over. As I set my things down on a close, scraped up desk next to them, the relief of the weight off my shoulder allows an almost audible sigh. Before my books even touch the desk, both my ears are flooded with opposing voices on either side, eagerly leaning in attempting to tell of their experiences early this morning.

"Y/n, you will not believe what we found in the canals! I could swear I heard someone say my name- so I looked around and saw a giant pile of stone or something. So obviously, I walked over to it.."

Toby cuts him off, almost sounding annoyed at his enthusiasm.

"You know I don't get what the big deal is- it was just a pile of K-spar!"

"You heard it too Tobs! You were there!" Jim says as if grasping at straws. It seems like he's trying to prove a point, but as long as they play the pronoun game, it seems I'll be left in the dark.

"Yeah, no, I saw a big pile of rocks and a weird metal- thing. Whatever it is, it was probably someone just playing a prank on us."

I look between the two as Jim practically pleads with Toby to believe him. Between their bickering, I cut Jim off.

"Jim what happened? What did you do?- or see rather."

Knowing Jim is like viewing a side character in a horror movie. No matter what you say, they're going to do the opposite and inevitably get themself killed. He's always talked about wanting something more. I only wish I understood how far he'd be willing to go to get it.

"I didn't do anything! I swear! But- I did find something."

As if on cue Mr. Strickler, our history teacher, walks through the door. Naturally Toby and Jim quiet themselves. Though their restlessness doesn't go unnoticed. I can't help but see them fidgeting beside me during our lecture. Throughout the hour, I hear brief whispers and the occasional snore when Jim managed to nod off, regardless of how eager he seemed to talk to me the next chance he got.

After the school bell rings, I swiftly pack my things into my bag, only for the black binder that holds my papers to give me issues. I fight with it for a minute before my shoulders leap as sounds of items tumbling to the floor catch me off guard. I swivel around quickly only to see Jim give an exasperated sigh before leaning down to fiddle with his fallen books. My eyes catch Strickler as he courteously helps Jim with his things. I shake off the startle and go back to fighting with my binder before finally overcoming the issue. I toss the irritating bag over my shoulder.

I attempt to not listen in on their conversation as I finally manage my way back to the classrooms heavy wood door. My hand reaches the cool metal of the door handle and with almost no sound at all the wood door opens. However, not before hearing one of the first truly funny and equally wise words of our teacher.

"Perhaps between your sleeping sessions, and after your next ogling of Ms. Nuñez, you could have young Mx. Teach you in the ways of how to catch a girls fancy young Atlas."

A blurt of laughter escapes my lips as I raise a hand and wipe the spit that escaped my mouth. Jim quickly pushes past me in an embarrassed huff and scurries down the hall to his next class. I turn around and give Mr. Strickler a quick thumbs up before closing the door behind me and being off to my own classes.