His Amulet

The following day is..stressful. Attempting to keep up a happy appearance, meanwhile my insides are in turmoil. I want to ignore everything I saw yesterday.. just forget all of it and go back to my quiet life at long last. But I can not in good conscience leave Jim to deal with this on his own..I could not live with myself knowing I could have done something. Said something. But because I was too much of a coward, he ends up dead because of me.

Hours long on throughout the busy halls of our school as I am forced to do nothing but wait out the day. With lunch being my only distraction, I look forward to it. However I can't help but worry when Jim mentions he needs to speak with Strickler during the period.

Since that first day he found the amulet, it's as if he hasnt let it leave his sight. Throughout the day, I notice him taking longing glances at it. Strickler seems like a trustworthy man who's been nothing but pleasant to me and Jim. If Im honest, Jim's close relationship with him could easily be explained by his need to have a father figure in his life, but that much isn't my business. Not like he'd admit it anyway. But even with Stricklers calm demeanor, there's no telling how he'd react if Jim told him "oh hey by the way I found a glowing amulet that knows my name in the canals, super cool right?"

I slam my head on the wood desk below me in frustration as Jim walks off to Stricklers office. I can't let Jims..questionable decisions rack at me. I hall my bag onto my shoulder in a huff and stalk off through the school for anywhere that will provide me the quiet and peace of mind I need.

Noisy classmates line the halls of our school during lunch, to the point that it gives the best perspective of just how many students there are. No matter the turn or the hall, nowhere is void of people. Even the classrooms are occupied by the teachers in control.

Minutes pass by before I inevitably give up my search within the school and instead attempt my search outside. Living in California, I was attempting to avoid the hot weather today, but it seems I'm forced to settle. In front of the school, to the left of a bike rack is an almost unnaturally green spot of recently cut grass. As I sit down in its recently watered blades, the texture tickles at my thighs.

With a slow outhale of breath in an attempt at a calming manner, I close my eyes and allow the surroundings to fill my senses. The sound of cars and bikes passing by, the tickling of the grass. But look past that, the loud noises. Feel past them. The warm breeze of air, and the scent of this city carried on it. Everything takes over. And a final breath of peace leaves me.

With a newfound and temporary peace, I take advantage of the time to dig through my bag and take out the dust covered book I uncovered last night. My gaze grazes the pages sharply as my skin seeps up the light of the high sun. The only hint to my emotions is the speed at which my knee bounces.

A long, and content while passes by as I wait out the time, but as I read and re-read repeating pages of the same information all being said the same way, a deep-rooted frustration builds. As I feel myself ready to turn the book away and wanting to shove it away back on its shelf, sets of steps can be heard a closing distance away.

"Tik tok, tik tok Y/n." Steve waves his finger side to side mimicking a pendulum. Close behind him follows two boys, neither very exceptional looking. Steve struts over in my direction, with a confident smile rising across his face. I roll my eyes as I turn away and try to look immersed in my book.

"What do you want, Steve?" It was hardly a question worth asking. With such a look on his face, it was clear what he wanted.

"What's with the hostility Y/n? Look, I know I was a real jerk the other day, and I just wanted to apologize and let you know you don't have to worry. I forgive you." A chuckle follows his arrogant words.