Chapter 38: The Handshake

Hannah kicked up dust as her feet pounded against the dirt road.

Audelia held on as tightly as she could to the horse's skin, but her eyes kept shutting, and her hands kept slipping.

She felt ill because it would turn out, Tabitha was right, and riding a horse for days on end with broken ribs was torture.

The horse let out a small sound as Audelia's hands slipped for the 100th time. The noise snapped Audelia's eyes open, forcing her to catch herself before she could slip off onto the ground.

"Thank you," Audelia whispered quietly as she gently caressed the side of the horse's head. Audelia then found herself leaning down so she could rest her head for a moment.

The moment her face touched Hannah, she let out a louder neigh and suddenly veered off the path.

Audelia noticed this but didn't have the strength to stop her and lead her back the right way. She just let her eyes droop shut as she watched Hannah take her to an unknown destination.

When Audelia fluttered her exhausted lids open, she came to realise there was something vaguely familiar about their surroundings. She carefully sat up, grunting, and groaning as she did.

She was trying to see why these particular trees were familiar, but then she heard the rushing sound of water.

"Oh Hannah, you genius." Audelia praised the horse, sliding off its back as Hannah eventually came to a stop.

Audelia wobbled further through the trees, knowing exactly where she was going. Her side pinched in pain that spread throughout her whole body, and it made her stomach turn. The pain was too much, and she was too tired to stop herself from falling to her knees. Her skin scrapped against the grass, and she felt bile clawing its way up her throat. But after a second passed, the nausea disappeared, and she began to make her way forward.

Finally, she made it to the waterfall, having crawled the last section. The water looked as beautiful as it did when Flynn had taken her to it all those months ago.

She managed to peel her clothes off and pulled herself into the water, wading deeper on all fours until she could no longer touch the floor. She floated in the middle of the crystal pool, listening to the rushing sound of the waterfall behind her. The water lapped at her skin, kissing all her cuts and bruises which gave her the relief that she desperately needed.

The pain subsided momentarily, and she dived down into the water. Her hair gathered around her as each strand became weightless in the water. Audelia caressed each strand, watching as the already faded brown dye washed out of her white locks further.

She remained suspended under the water for a short while, enjoying the sensation of the water against her. It was peaceful underneath the surface. The water itself was calm and still, creating a world separate from the one Audelia knew.

Once she was ready, she swam her way back to the surface. She broke through into the air, slicking back her wet hair as she did.

"So, you thought you could just run away from me, Audelia?"

Audelia's face snapped towards the edge of the water, where she saw Flynn standing there. His face pulled into a rather unimpressed expression.

"I—How did yo—what are you doing here?" Audelia stuttered, her eyes wide open, matching her jaw.

"Tabitha," Flynn answered, tapping his foot against the ground impatiently. "She explained everything."

"Damn," Audelia whispered to herself, pulling her mouth into a thin line. She hadn't counted on Tabitha selling her out. "So, are you here to try and take me back?"