Chapter 45: The Queen

Killian let out a loud groan again. "Let's go, Camilla, it's over."

"Yeah, Camilla, it's over," Flynn repeated with a mocking tone.

Camilla glared at them both before looking over at Killian. Her features softened as Killian gave her a reassuring nod.

"Fine." She finally relented, standing up from the throne and carefully walking over to Killian.

The room was quiet other than the sound of Camilla high heeled shoes tapping against the ground. She walked with the same elegance that she always did, elegance that symbolised how she thought herself to be superior.

Flynn watched the woman closely, unsure of her. Her body language was confident and carefree despite Audelia's presence.

Camilla whispered some gentle words as she approached Killian, words that neither Flynn nor Audelia could hear. Camilla's jewelled hand then gently brushed Killian's cheek before she abruptly pulled out the knife.

Killian made a small whining sound but happily collapsed into Camilla's arms, pleased to be free of the blade.

Audelia bit the inside of her lip to stop herself from smiling, but she couldn't help how immensely satisfying it was to see Killian suffer a similar injury to herself.

Killian's arm then found itself resting across Camilla's shoulder as she helped him stumble forward. He groaned pathetically with every step.

They moved slowly down the steps and walked further into the throne room until the shadows of the night engulfed them.

"Good luck," Camilla called out just as they disappeared.

Audelia and Flynn kept their eyes upon the space Camilla had disappeared into, suspicious of her willingness to give up so quickly.

But after a while of nothing else happening, Audelia's face came to life with a beaming smile. Her lips pulled upwards, revealing her white teeth, and then she spun to face Flynn.

Flynn was reluctant to take his eyes off the dark room, but once Audelia stepped in front of him, all his attention turned to her.

The gold was back. Audelia's eyes were glowing with gold. And her smile was the most magnificent thing he'd ever laid eyes upon, Audelia had smiled before, but this time, her smile seemed to draw all the air out of the room, making it so he couldn't breathe.

"We did it," Audelia said with a nervous laugh.

Flynn wrapped her wrist and pulled her into him. All he wanted to do was touch her, have her body flushed against his own. "We did do it, Princess."

Audelia let out a squeal of delight as she wrapped her arms around his neck. The move sent a painful shock through her body, reminding her of her injured shoulder. But she didn't care. She wanted to celebrate with Flynn.

She jumped up onto her tiptoes to ensure she had a better view of his face. His tanned skin was bruised all over, and there was dried blood sticking strand of chestnut brown hair to his forehead. But he was still breath-taking.

"We really did it." She whispered as Flynn ducked his head so she could kiss him.

A warmth spread through both of their bodies the moment their lips touched. It wasn't as passionate as their previous kisses had been. This one was gentle. It was kind and filled with emotion.

Flynn was the first to pull away, not wanting to hurt her bruised face even more. But Audelia just grabbed the back of his head and pulled him down again.

Flynn felt himself smiling into the second kiss, which Audelia quickly found herself doing as well.

He reluctantly pulled away once again and rested his forehead against hers. "We have the rest of our lives to keep kissing, so let's not do it whilst you should be getting medical attention."