The Enemy

"Mom, dad, this is Coach Bombay." My mom let out a loud, panicked, cough as her eyes widened. "Melissa, are you okay?" My father asked worried while my siblings stared at her confused. "Gordon." My mother nodded and he nodded back at her, "Melissa."

"You two know each other?" I asked shocked and my father stood there beyond confused. "Well, yes." My mom answered hesitantly. "How?"

"We used to be co-workers back when I worked at the law firm." She answered me and I nodded but I was still confused.

"I think we should tell her now." My mom said and Bombay shook his head. "No, it'll throw her playing off. After the game. I can't have my best player not playing to the best of her abilities." He refused while I looked at my siblings who were just as confused as I was. "Tell me what?"

"Tell her what?" My father asked looking around clueless. "Yeah." My siblings agreed, wanting to know what's happening.

"After the game. Go get ready." Bombay instructed and I sighed heading towards the locker room. "Weirdos." I mumbled to myself while I got ready.

-

Coach walked in and everyone was making fun of his new style. I made sure to bully him for it earlier, so I enjoyed watching everyone get a laugh. Dean and Fulton asked coach about his night and they sounded like they knew something.

"Spill everything you know." I insisted walking to to them. They explained to me how they saw Coach getting ice cream with that girl from the Iceland team. I was upset, betrayed even, but I couldn't focus on that right now.

I need to play good, is what I kept repeating in my head. Your family's watching, I reminded myself as we skated out into the ice. Yeah like they care how I play, I laughed at the voice in my head. I then proceeded to have a whole fight with myself in my head about the most random things ever. That happens more often then you think.

"Live from Los Angeles, welcome to the Junior Goodwill Games." Averman announced to a fake audience while he used his stick as a fake microphone. I was standing in front of the net with him and Goldberg. "Tonight's matchup, Team U.S.A faces off against team Iceland."

"We have with us Scarlett Anderson, formerly known as 'Bandit' at camp eden hockey. Team U.S.A's starter Forward position, who also makes a great enforcer if you get her angry, right Scary Scarlett?" Averman raised his eyebrows making me shake my head. "Shut it, Averman." I rolled my eyes before he started to speak again.

"Alrighty. We also are welcomed by Greg Goldberg, goaltender for Team U.S.A. Do y'all have anything you'd like to say before we get absolutely demolished by these ten foot giants?"

"Save yourself, no one else. Play dirty, fight hard. These people are the enemy." I joked in a deeper voice. "Wow that made me feel real confident." Averman shuddered while we skated back to the bench. "Yeah, thanks, Scarlett." Goldberg said sarcastically. "Anytime, Goldie." I knocked him over causing him to groan. "Oh, oops." I smiled sweetly turning to face the team.

-

Well, that went to shit. I'm now sitting in the infirmary. Iceland is ruthless and cruel. They were after me and Aspen the whole time. I guess Emily told them what happened. I had to have medics carry me off. I scored four goals, then well, I'm not exactly sure. I was unconscious for a little over forty-five minutes.

The doctors told me I had a minor concussion and it's too early to see when I'll be able to play again. They said I'd definitely be able to play before we leave, they're just not sure when exactly.

My family seemed more worried than expected which shocked me. When I woke up they were gathered around me telling me it was all okay. I seriously thought I had died. In what world did my family ever care about me?

My mom told me an Iceland player had slammed me into the boards, and my head fell back onto the ice so hard that it cracked my helmet. My brother was still shocked on how they even let us play against the kids that are half our size. Jenny told me coach had to keep Adam from running after my bed when the medics took me.

I wasn't even in any pain, I'm just embarrassed. I just hoped my team was making up for my mistake. I felt so guilty I can't be out there helping my team. I know it's not my fault, but I can't help but have that guilty feeling.

Julie and Dean came to visit because they both got kicked out of the game. "He finally put you on, Julie? That's amazing!" I laughed giving her a hug. "It was short-lived but, yeah." She nodded happily. "How you holding up?" Dean asked nodding to my head. "I've been better. I'm more upset that I couldn't help you guys, than in pain."

"Don't be. It's not you're fault." Dean reassured and I smiled at him. "It's okay that you got injured, it happens. We're just worried about you. We're glad you're okay." Julie hugged me and I gave them both a big grin.

"Thanks guys. They said I'll be able to leave soon. I'll be in the dorms, though. It's either rest in the dorms, or stay here overnight. And this bed is incredibly uncomfortable."

They stayed and we talked for a while before they decided to leave and go back to the locker rooms.

Julie came back to update me from time to time since she had nothing else to do, and because there's no TV for me to watch the game on.

"Dean went to go attack the guy that got you out. He just injured Adam's wrist I believe, but Adam is refusing to get help. Says he's fine. He's a horrible liar, though." Julie explained to me while we played cards she brought down. "Great. Another player out of the game." I sighed continuing to play cards.

"The score was 5-12, four goals from you, one from Adam. It's a total shit show out there."

"Didn't expect anything else."

"Coach said he's coming to see you as soon as the games over. Aspen was trying to climb out of the bench to come and see you, coach and Connie had to physically pull her down." Julie told me making a laugh escape my lips. "He also said he was gonna tell you about the thing, whatever that is." She added and I remembered from earlier.

"Oh ya. Thanks, Julie."