You Promised

I was in the corner of the locker room waiting for coach. He wanted to meet up before the team practiced. I would have to get daily checkups at the care center for injured players that's in the hotel. I'm not allowed to play or practice until I get the 'okay' from the doctors. I needed to tell him the news and see what he wanted to do about a missing player.

Charlie came in early, like always, and we talked about the game yesterday. We were both incredibly upset about the outcome, but he said he was more worried about how I was.

Charlie is the type of person where hockey usually comes first, until you're important enough to come before it. I guess I had the privilege of coming before hockey.

"Charlie! I fucked up bad." Adam panted running into the locker room. "Scarlett's gonna kill me." He paced back and forth while I got up and hid behind the lockers. "Why? Adam, what happened?" Charlie asked worriedly.

"Emily kissed me." He mumbled and my heart beat picked up. "As long as you didn't-" Charlie was cut off by Adam, "And I kissed her back."

My breath got caught in my lungs when I tried to exhale. I couldn't breathe in or out, I was completely breathless. I couldn't move from where I was standing, I couldn't move at all actually.

"Adam! What the hell, man!" Charlie pushed his shoulders. "I messed up." Adam repeated over and over. "Damn right you did." I shook my head finally moving from my spot. "Oh shit."

"Good luck." Charlie said annoyed walking out of the locker room.

"I'm sorry, okay? It's all my fault." He sighed rubbing his temples. "No, Adam. It's my fault for believing you'd keep your promise. I should've known this would happen again." I said trying not to let my voice break. "Wait, no please." He s begged while I walked to the doors. "Good luck with her." I forced out while holding back my tears.

"I don't love her like I love you!" He exclaimed running up to me. "If you loved me, even a little, you wouldn't of done it." I muttered walking away from him while bumping our shoulders.

I shut the door and stumbled over to coach's office, while tears blurred my vision. No ones in here. I sat myself in a chair and just tried to breathe.

So much is happening so fast. My head is pounding, my chest hurts, I genuinely can't breathe, and everything feels like it's spinning.

He promised me, he promised he wouldn't leave, he promised he wouldn't hurt me, he promised he'd always be there. He lied. He said it all like it meant nothing. Just words. Words that had no meaning to him. That promise meant everything to me. It was the only thing that kept me going somedays.

How could he do that do me?

"Scarlett! Charlie just told me. I'm so so sorry." Aspen ran into the office and dropped on the floor next to the chair. "If it makes you feel better I may have given him a bloody nose before Charlie pulled me off. I'm getting the bitch next." She said excitedly, trying to cheer me up, making me force a small smile.

I couldn't say anything, I tried, but nothing came out. I just hugged her while she rubbed my back. "It'll be okay, love." She muttered rubbing my back while she kneeled on the floor in front of the chair I was sat on.

Connie and Julie came running in and each gave me a hug and took turns trying to cheer me up, and giving me advice. As much as I was thankful for it, I really wanted to be alone.

I'd give anything for the room to stop spinning, the nausea to go away along with the pounding of my head, the pains in my chest to stop, and to get my normal breathing pattern back.

"Is now I good time to say I never liked him anyway?" Aspen broke the silence making Connie smack her arm. "No."

"Yes." Julie nodded at the same time while Connie glared at her. "Oh, I mean. Uh, no."

"Girls, Scarlett." Coach nodded while walking into his office. "If you don't mind..." He nodded to me and the three girls left understandingly.

"I heard what happened. Stuff gets around fast here, huh?" He said trying to lighten up the mood. "Guess so." I sniffled adjusting myself on the chair to face him at his desk.

"I moved your dorm for you, I hope you don't mind. Aspen suggested it. She thought it'd be better if you didn't sleep in the same room as Emily. You'd be the only one in there, but Aspen thought it'd be nice if you had some space."

"Thank you, really. But what are we going to do about missing a player now?" I questioned making him sigh. "Don't you worry about that. If you can, only if you can, find someone that can be out in less than a week to play for you. If no one comes to mind, let me know. I'll handle it." Coach instructed and I stood up slowly.

"I'll go think."

"Have someone walk you to your dorm, Julie should be out there. Aspen and Connie went to get your stuff." He explained opening the door for me. "Thanks but I'm quite capable." I muttered rubbing my head to try and get rid of the pounding. "I'm just worried. Be careful." He warned me and Julie while we made our way to the elevators.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" She asked softly. "I'd rather not." I shrugged hopping we could just talk about something else. Anything else.

"I understand. I'm here if you need to talk though." She smiled rubbing my arm. "Y'know what I do wanna do though?" I asked looking at the girl. "Huh?"

"Kick Emily's ass, and Adam's too. Then maybe get some pizza, I'm really craving pizza. And a nice nap." I smiled making her let out a small laugh. "Let's skip step one and two and go straight to food and a nap. We can save that for another day."

"Fine." I huffed getting into the elevator.

-

The three girls helped move me into my new dorm. It was two beds, one person. I liked it.

I just sat there. Once again, I couldn't even cry. I just felt...nothing. I hated it.

For while I couldn't even move from my spot on the bed. I didn't know what to feel, or what to do. I'm just glad I was there when Adam told Charlie. Who knows if he would've hidden it from me. He wouldn't do that, right?

I think what affected me most is that it was with her, and he kissed back. Actually kissed back. Did he even think about me? Our relationship? Was he even planning on telling me?

Who knew that one action could just single-handedly break a relationship apart? Not me, that's for sure.

I couldn't stop thinking about anything and everything that happened within the past day.

I find out Emily's an Iceland chick, get a concussion, find out my dad isn't my real dad and my actual dad is my coach, and to top it all off my boyfriend cheated on me with the girl who I absolutely hate.

I finally sat up and stumbled over to the phone. I dialed a number I hope was still the same as I remembered. I didn't even realize what I was doing until I heard the voice on the other end of the phone that made my heart beat pick up. What was I doing?

"Hello?"

"Larson."