3

The night was falling soon and I needed to create distance from where those demons had left my father and me for dead. Yet, here I was taking care of a wolf that threatens to kill me. Apply pressure. Apply pressure. Apply pressure. It was all I can think of and pray this deadly bleeding stops, then I could bring the wolf with me.

Deadly bleeding slicks the ground at sickening speed.

I really didn't have time.

I lifted the wolf up in my arms and began to continue to walk away from the river. This definitely slowed me down. Every muscle has seized up at this point. My body is struggling to recover, to repair the damage. Unable to move with any grace my movements are jerky.  Maybe my death was just prolonged and I was going to die tonight. 

If that was the case, I would have preferred it to be this morning with my father.

It wasn't far but my body couldn't take it anymore. 

I dropped to the ground with the injured wolf falling off my back and skidding a bit away from me. My father told me I had to live and today...at this moment...that wasn't going to happen. 

"I am sorry...father..."

I looked up as specks of black began to cover my vision. I was slowly losing consciousness. 

The last thing I remember seeing was the star-filled sky. It looked like pale corn into freshly turned ground. It was the promise of life in the darkness, a sense of warmth springing from the cold. It was a vastness to bring humbleness and an eternal space to bring gratitude for the coziness of home. 

A black vast covered most of my vision by now and the small remaining light I was allowed to see was that of a figure with a forehead scar wearing Hanafuda earrings...it was then that the darkness engulfed me.