9

It was only during the day I could enjoy the billion verdant wands of pine wave in arboreal air; for this place to look so magical during the day, was fascinating.

Yet when the night came...it was impossible to ignore the stench. The foul stench that crossed my path, coming from the north, over the mountain I traveled near. Hundreds of demons are just over the pass, some carrying the stench of blood.

Some weak demons make it their mission to take me on. As they attempt to slash at me, I skid and slide through them, sword ripping off their heads from their body one after another, gathering force with every slash and cut.

Sensing a large swirl of demonic aura from above, I finished with the last body and looks forward to seeing a demon who was starkly different from the others from what I can tell from here.

I realize, the length of his unruly hair is enough to cover his face from my view, even if it is tied back. However, his back was turned from me. But given that aura...I had a feeling that he also noticed my presence, meaning that running away would be futile without him being alerted that I saw him, but also...survival was slim.

Quicker than I can comprehend, he snaps his head up to watch me. When the moonlight hit this pale-skinned, tall, and muscular man with long and spiky hair with red tips that he kept in a ponytail...all I could really focus on was his face. His was covered in three sets of yellow eyes with red sclerae, with six eyes in all, was dead focused on me.

Neither of us made any moves, though for what felt to be wildly different reasons. He was studying me, and I stilled contemplating on what I should do.

"The ore," the man asked.

"The ore...I didn't have the ore..." I thought as I remained still. His stern face regarded me.

"Give me the ore and you may survive this night," he asked again.

"I don't have the ore," I answered truthfully.

Though the moment those words left my lips, he was in front of me in a matter of seconds. The demon in front of me and being this close to him I was able to realize that he was taller than I expected.

Given how close he was to me now, I was able to fully make out his face. Written across the middle set of eyes, I was able to read 'upper moon one', seemingly carved into them.

"Where is it then?" he asked.

"I do not know," I answered.

He was scrutinizing me for answers, maybe trying to discern if I was lying to him in any way.

"There's no point killing you," he states abruptly, turning away to focus on something else. "It'd be a waste."

I only remained silent during this situation. The fact that I was going to be able to walk away from this alive was a miracle.

Soon he turns his attention back towards me and begins to examine me. He doesn't say anything for a while, leading to an uncomfortable silence. It's not until I recognize the slivers of sunlight breaking through the darkness surrounding us both, a small light that filtered the bouquet of foliage above: softened, verdant, and freshly aromatic.

"Your name," he asks, though it's more of a command. I remain silent for a bit longer until I felt obligated to tell him my name through a wavering voice.

"Kokushibou is mine," he answers, "We shall meet again, Y/N."

The demon glances up one last time, watching as the sun rises more and more. He leveled with me another hard stare, causing shivers to practically run down my spine before he leaves in the blink of an eye.

I instantly fell to my knees. The only time I felt this way was when my father was protecting me from those demons that night...the time I was about to lose my life...this was the second time I had cheated death.