28

"Why would she want Negi?" I wondered while glancing down at the bag in my hand filled with the herb given to me to the village.

I looked forward to the building. The lavish building was lush with the distant cries of diurnal creatures singing out to the skies. Its tranquil yard and immaculate landscaping lend a certain charm that mellows so deep in the morning light.

I walked through the gates and noticed a short, young girl with large, gentle eyes of a dark lilac color that are framed by thick eyelashes. She has thin black hair, worn tied into a ponytail on the right side of her head and fastened by a pink and green butterfly ornament. She looked up in awe at me as I passed by.

Though she was pretty something about her seemed off.

As I got closer to where my crow was taking me, I realized more and more butterflies fluttering about. I was simply astounded by the beautiful scenery.

I rounded the corner towards the mansion's entrance, my eyes widen at the sight before me.

Swinging his sword to and fro, stood Kyojuro Rengoku practicing away.

All while shirtless.

The bulge of his biceps, the shifting of thick muscles beneath his tanned skin. And how  the fabric of his hamaka straining against his muscular thighs. His arm drew back and swung the instrument over and over again down onto the piece. There was the strand of sweat beads rolling down the muscles of his toned abdomen, one slipping into the dip of his belly button before running lower into the waist of his pants.

As much as I didn't want to have an effect on me, I could feel those feelings in my stomach and my face becoming hot as my blush would stain my cheeks.

"Ah, Y/N!"

I turned my attention toward the person who said my name.

"Shinobu," I acknowledged while giving her the bag of contents she requested

"Thank you for bringing this to me," Shinobu said as she grabbed the bag until she grabbed my wrist and looked down at the wrapping, "What happened to your wrist?"

"None of your concerns," I said quickly while retreating my arm from her grasp.

I pressed my lips together and turned away from her. The only response she heard from me was a low hum. She let out a fit of laughter.

"I can see why Giyuu and yourself are close, you both are alike in some ways."

"We only introduced our names...we aren't that close..." I thought a bit annoyed.

I walked away from her and down the stairs of the mansion. As I passed the area, I noticed Rengoku looking directly at me with a huge smile on his face.

"Train with me, Y/N!"

Drops of sweat glistened on his chest as I watched the muscles in his shoulders.

"Don't get distracted by him...fight!"

I look emotionlessly into the man's fiery eyes before speaking, "Not interested." My voice was ice cold. The wind picked up again and strains of his long hair fluttered about, his warm gaze fixated on me as I turned my head away and walked forward.

Two steps away and I could see Mitsuri running upwards with a small bento in her hand.

"Ah! Mitsuri!" Rengoku called.

A sharp pang went through my chest as I unconsciously went to grab it. I didn't even want to know what was happening behind me. I proceeded to walk down them away from what was happening.

I didn't want anything to ruin the moment of bliss of seeing Rengoku training so I closed my eyes shut; forcing myself to ignore the sounds of their chatter.

"Oi, Y/N!"

I turned around and there stood Tengen at the top of Shinobu's roof, underneath where Mitsuri and Rengoku were and where I was able to see their intimacy a bit more clearly: her hand on his chest. A million emotions ran through me. Some of the things she felt were heartbreak, worthlessness, confusion, and above all-shock.

"Y/N!" Tengen called out once again.

I glanced at him as his eyes slightly squinted and then became serious. He knew.

As I turned back around, I could see Rengoku with a small smile.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't born into the world as a kunoichi...maybe then I would be able to process what feelings were.

As I thought to myself, It was shocking to feel a solemn tear fall down my cheek; my body looked calm compared to how tangled my mind was. I took my hand and wiped my eyes and soon looked at the wet substance that coated my fingers...these were tears...something I had shed when my parents died...then it was understandable...it was a loss...but now...why was I crying.

I continued walking away from the scene and swiftly disappeared knowing the moment I get to go back to the North, I was going to probably stay there for a while. After all, it has only been months since I had accepted the Hashira position...meaning the deal still stood.