Chapter 20: In flames

When I wake up, Sam isn't next to me. He's nowhere to be seen in the room. I stand up from the bed and head towards the bathroom. After I brush my teeth, I head down. When I reach the kitchen, I see Sam sitting on a stool eating a sandwich and talking to Luke who's looking for something to eat in the fridge.

 "Uh... Hi." I greet them awkwardly. It's weird to see these two talking.

"Hi," Sam greets me back with a grin on his face and I blush a little, remembering last night.

"Hey, did you sleep well?" Luke asks.

"Yes, thank you for letting us stay here," I thank him. He just smiles and continues his conversation with Sam. They're talking about cars. Luke hands me a bowl of Cheerios; he knows I love cereal. 

"Thank you."

"No problem," he replies and goes back to his conversation with Sam. 

My knowledge of cars is the same as their knowledge of makeup, cero. So I just listen to them without contributing anything to the conversation. Minutes later, Sarah and Lola join us. Luke finally sits down and starts eating a sandwich while Sarah makes pancakes for her, Lola and Jake who barges in unexpectedly. He fist-bumps the guys. Then, greets Lola with a smile and Sarah with a kiss. And finally, he hugs me tight and kisses the top of my head.

"What are you doing here?" Luke asks him.

"I came to visit my girlfriend," he answers, kissing Sarah again. I swear they're the cutest.

Luke rolls his eyes at him. Sam, Lola, and I just laugh. 

"Since you're here, maybe later I can kick your ass in 2K," Luke tells him.

"You're on," Jake replies, grinning. 

The guys start talking about PlayStation games and stuff, which for me is boring. So I join Lola and Sarah's conversation about Prom. All six of us spend the whole day goofing around in the house. We forget all about yesterday's problem and enjoy the new day. I'm really thankful to God for the friends and family he's given me. I wouldn't change anything at all. 

------------------ FLAMES -----------------

A month later

"Amanda you're going to be late again," my mom shouts from downstairs.

"I'm coming," I shout back annoyed.

"Okay, just remember to eat something before you leave. I'm leaving now, I'll see you tonight," my mom yells. "I love you."

"I love you too," I shout from upstairs before my mom leaves. Our relationship has improved. We fight less and talk more.

I finish getting ready and then head to school. Like always, I'm late so I head directly towards my class. I spend the whole day scribbling notes on my notebook, bored out of my mind, just counting the hours 'till lunch. When it's finally lunch period, I head towards the cafeteria to meet my friends. 

"You were late today. I didn't see you in the morning," Sarah acknowledges.

"Yeah," I simply respond. "How is it going with Sam and Lola at your house?" 

Sam and Lola are still staying with them. I went home just the day after the whole incident with Samuel. Even though Sam and I had a great night that day, he insisted on us being apart, to protect me. I hate his decision, but there's no changing his mind. Just to make things more definite, he started going out with some random girl. I know he's just doing it to keep me away. And sometimes, it really bothers me seeing him with her, even though I know he doesn't love her.