Chapter 4: Volleyball Game

"Hey Cole, wait up!" Someone shouts from behind me. I turn around and he's already there.

"Twice in a day? This is torture enough for me and now you bring your girlfriend too?" I blurt annoyed.

"She's not my girlfriend, let's just say she's more like a good way to spend time," he says. This grosses me out. If I were that girl, I would have slapped him.

"We'll see when you come looking for me, who's gonna give you a good time, Jerk!" the girl snaps at him. Before leaving, she gives him her middle finger, "fuck you". 

"She'll come around, they always do," he remarks proudly.

"You're a jerk."

"I've been called much worse, babe."

"You can't seem to memorize my name, huh?" I ask.

"I like my nicknames better, Cole." He at least remembers my last name; better that than his nicknames.

"What are you doing here?" I ask again, bothered.

"I came here to watch you play," he answers in a duh' tone. "And to remind you that next game my sister better be playing." He touches my cheek with his cold hand, leans against my ear and whispers, "break a leg". He sends shivers down my spine. HE'S SO FRUSTRATING.

—————————FLAMES —————————

"Ladies... go out there and crush them," Coach Larry says fervently.

Sarah and I start on the first set. I look up to the crowd and all my friends are there supporting me; my dad is there too, sitting next to Jake. They talked a lot when my dad arrived, had a lot catching up to do. Jake is like a son to him. The whistle startles me from my thoughts. The game starts and the other team serves first. I receive the first serve, Sarah assists, and another girl attacks, making the point when the other team fails to receive. Sarah serves next; she makes three aces in a row. Sarah serves again and this time, the other team passes the ball back to our side of the court. Lily, our libero, receives the attack bumping, Sarah assists, and I attack back, but the other team blocks and the ball falls inside our court. We continue playing intensely;  we win the game 25-20 and 25-23.

"Good game," Luke congratulates me.

"Thanks," I thank him kindly.

"See you around," he adds with a smirk before leaving. He goes to hug Sarah. After pulling out of the embrace, Sarah turns around and wave at me before leaving with Luke. They must be pretty good friends or maybe they're together, I don't know, but Jake's chance looks pretty bleak right about now; and I have to admit, I kind of like Luke, so both our chances are slim; Sarah's like the perfect girlfriend.

"You like him, huh?" A familiar voice startles me.

"You again?" I mutter rolling my eyes.

"Everyone likes him," Sam states. "Don't understand why, though; he's not that good looking."

"He is, plus he's kind, unlike you, and plays sports," I differ.

"You do like him," Sam points out, scrunching his nose as in disgust.

"Didn't say that," I deny.

"You like sporty guys? I can be sporty. Want me to show you?" He says with a smirk plastered on his face.

"I'm gonna wipe off that smirk on your face," I threaten grimly.

"That's what I want baby," he teases.

"Ugh... You're so frustrating. Go fuck your..." I don't get to finish because Jake and my dad cut me off.

"Nice game," Jake congratulates me, hugging me.

"Ready to go, honey?" my dad asks.

"Yes, let's go," I tell him, eager to get away from Sam. But coach Larry calls my dad, so I'm not leaving.

"We'll finish our conversation later Cole," Sam winks at me and then leaves.

"Didn't tell me you have a boyfriend," Jake says pryingly.

"Him? No way. He's the bully girl's brother, and he's a big fat jerk," I clarify.

"He seemed interested in you," Jake points out.

"Yeah, interested in making my life a living hell," I reply. "Besides, he's the school's playboy, so he's like that with everyone."

"Still don't buy it; I know when a guy likes you, but if you say he's not interested in you like that, I'll believe you," Jake says. "And... If he bothers you, you tell me 'k?"

"Sure," I agree.

"How's your little sister, by the way?" Jake asks. Oh yeah! I have a little sister named Lisa.

"She's fine; she's staying with mom," I answer.

"Oh!! And your mom's ok?" He asks again.

"Yes, she's fine. She's working a lot, though, so she's always tired," I respond. "I'm staying with her this week; it's my turn to stay there."

My parents got divorced 4 years ago and decided that my sister and I would live one week with each one of them, so we're constantly changing houses.

"Good," he says. "Send her my regards."

"Will do. You're welcome to visit anytime; you know she loves you."

"I know. Maybe I'll stop by next week."

"Let's go," my dad orders. "Jake, I'll take you home too, come on."

"Didn't your brother come to School?" I ask him. He has a 14-year-old brother who is bigger and scarier than him.

"Yes, but he left early," he answers.

"Oh!" I sigh. "Let's go then."

My dad takes Jake home first. I get out of the car and go say hello to Jake's grandparents and to his brother. I get along with his brother; we talk a lot, but I hadn't seen him lately, so it was good to see him now. I return to the car and my dad takes me to my mom's house. I don't like it here, I prefer to be with dad, but that just the arrangements they made. I have to live with it. Sometimes we make exceptions and I stay longer with dad, just like Lisa stayed longer with mom this week because dad didn't have a nanny to pick her up after school and he couldn't do it because he had to work late. I get out of the car and Lisa comes running to me and hugs me. She does the same with dad. Dad picks her up and spins her up in the air. My sister is 5 years old and she doesn't look anything like me. She's pale white with straight brown hair and hazel eyes. I have brown, wavy, long hair, and caramel brown eyes. Lisa and I kiss my dad goodbye and go inside the house. My mom is working late, so I won't see her until tomorrow. I eat the food Carmen, the nanny, prepared, tuck Lisa into bed, and then go to sleep. It was a long, exhausting day and I have to figure out what I'm going to do with Sam's request. I'm 99% sure that Lola only wants to be on the teams to ruin my life; their goal is to make my life miserable, and I don't know why.