20

Showered and dressed, William stood in the middle of the room staring at the door

There had been a gigantic mirror in the bathroom, and although he had been curious about his own appearance, he found out that he simply couldn't look at himself.
One glance at his own eyes had made him wince and drop his gaze on the white tiled floor. An odd, painful sensation had ran through his chest like a spear and most of all, a sudden pain had started hammering away in his head. He hadn't bothered to try and look a second time.

He had tied a towel around his waist and rushed into the bedroom, it had taken him a bit too long to figure out what exactly a walk-in closet was. He had chosen a skin-tight shirt, slightly loose pants with many pockets and a black jacket. His colour choice was black, anything brighter than that would just catch too much attention. And one thing he didn't want was attention. Now he just had to find a way to get his stuff.

The sun outside was dipping low, hiding behind the trees.

His dull, blonde hair was still wet and stuck out in random places. The blisters under his feet were completely gone at this point and the bullet wound was barely an annoying itch.

He gazed at the door, trying to come to an understanding if he was allowed to leave or even open the door. Back in HYDRA, he'd get punished for even daring to think on his own.

It made him shudder.

He jumped as the female AI started speaking again. He'd never get used to that.

"If you're ready, Tony would like to see you in the living room."

Will didn't answer as he noticed the glowing white dots appear in front of him on the floor again. He didn't wait for them to start moving, he wasn't gonna follow that AI anymore, no way.

He made it to the door with two long strides, unlocking it. He hesitantly stepped into the hallway, listening carefully if he heard any other heartbeats beside Tony's. There was only an erratic one that he'd recognise everywhere, but other than that, nothing. Silence.

William still expected a SWAT squad to run out of the forest and try to take him into another cage once again. He nearly snorted at that, as if they could restrain him.

He quietly made his way into the living room, scenting the air to see if anything was amiss. The only thing that stood out was the heavy smell of cheese and pepperoni, he knew what that was but just couldn't put a finger on it.

"Look who finally showed up. I'm not much of a cook, so frozen pizza is on the menu tonight. I already ate, so go ahead."

So that's what the smell was, pizza.

Tony was lounging on the couch, legs thrown up on the glass table as he lazily read a book of some kind. A familiar dog was laying on the couch next to him, head resting on his lap as he slid his fingers over the dark fur. Noticing Will, Dog immediately tried to struggle out of Tony's hold and run up to the tense man. Her tail wagged heavily.