06

Special thank you to aliensweets I started missing Will, too. That one comment made me write again. Thank you.

He stared at the bottles filled with different coloured drinks, getting lost in their labels and flashy commercials

He stared at the bottles filled with different coloured drinks, getting lost in their labels and flashy commercials. A frown pulled on his otherwise emotionless face as he stood there, staring, analyzing and trying to identify the drinks. He settled for two bottles of water, holding them carefully in his calloused hands, afraid that the plastic would easily brake if he gripped them with too much force.

As he purchased the sandwiches and water, he tried to avoid eye contact with the curious cashier who kept smiling at him, throwing her long hair over her back and then over her shoulder again. The soldier said nothing as he grabbed his things and left the girl ogling.

He sped away from the small shop, making a quick stop couple of miles away near the road. Uncapping the water bottle, his eyes flickered around the most scenery briefly, making sure there weren't any cars or houses in the distance. The cold water soothed his dry throat as he leaned into the seat, grabbing the map to see if there were any dirt roads he could take to make sure he coolant be tracked through any of the cameras he ought to drive by if he followed the main road.

He made a mental map, studying it and every road and name of even the smallest of places he would pass by. The dirt roads would make his route longer, but it would be safer. So he was going with this. He neatly placed his things away and turned on the car, rolling his shoulders to try and soothe out the tension. He rolled over the road, sliding a pair of sunglasses over his nose.

The sky was clear and the sound of the engine was almost scratching his ears, he didn't like the way it drowned out the rest of the noises, it was like a sound barrier. Screeching sounds were nothing new to him, but he still didn't like them. Reluctantly he switched on the radio, frowning at the off-tune singer and horrid beat in the background. He changed the channel, settling for classical music. It wasn't distracting and also helped to relax a little.

The drive was steady and to his surprise, not once were there anyone after him. While it was a good sign as it showed his ability to disappear, it was also nerve-wracking. He had had no contact with anyone, he didn't know what sort of event had led up to him being out of cryo and he knew the moment he woke up HYDRA should have sent out their best to fetch him. Yet there he was, driving a car, eating a sandwich while listening to classical music. Like a real human being, pathetic.

He had his suspicions, but not once did he cross the speed limit. How stupid it would be if he got chased by police for something like driving too fast.

After a couple of hours driving, he had almost reached his destination when rolled the car to a stop, turning the engine off as he suspiciously scanned the still scenery. The house was dark, yellow paint was peeling off the two-story house, a grey barn was on the brink of falling over and the roof of the building seemed to be broken in many places. The soldier stepped out of the car, keeping his hand on his gun the entire time as he analyzed every tremble of a leaf, switch of a twig and a rustle of a rat who escaped from the barn as the door creaked in the wind. He snuck into the dark house from the backdoor, moving in the shadows like he had been doing for a long time already. The two floors were completely empty of any furniture, surfaces were covered in a thick layer of dust and a couple of birds had made a nest in the living room.