♡4•Derek Shepherd•4♡

"What are you doing here?" Dr. Shepherd asked me.

I internally rolled my eyes because that is the 5th time I've been asked that question today but still put a smile on my face and responded like I did with all the other questions.

"It's Lexie's first day of work and I'm here for moral support."

"While I have you, do you wanna take a look at some C.T. scans? I'm being paged there right now."

Who would pass up the opportunity to see some C.T. scans? Definitely not me so I nodded and we headed to the E.R.

We went into one of the trauma rooms and I saw one of Mer's friends, a couple of interns and Lexie who widened her eyes when she saw me. I pretended not to see her and looked directly ahead.

"Dr. Grey, come take a look at these scans." With that being said, Lexie and I both stepped forward and Dr. Shepherd gestured towards me.

"The back of his skull is completely disconnected from his first cervical vertebrae." I tilted my head to get a better look at the scans.

"What do you think we should do Dr. Grey?" Dr. Shepherd asked me. 

"90% of these cases die in the field. As for the other 10%..." I trailed off and looked at the patient behind me. "I've never seen one live." I whispered silently. "But we owe it to him and his family to try to reconnect the spine during surgery." 

Dr. Shepherd smiled slightly at me. "Well done, Dr. Grey. You can observe from inside the OR." He removed the scans from the board. "Dr. Yang, book an OR and see where we're at on contacting his family." He nodded goodbye at me and left the room.

"One, go book an OR and hurry up. Two, contact his family. Four, prep him for surgery. Three, go with Dr. Grey to the gallery." Dr. Yang looked me up and down. "It seems Dr. Shepherd has some favorites." She left the room and the minute she did, Lexie turned towards me.

"You said you would stay out of trouble!" She whisper shouted at me.

"I did but I ran into Dr. Shepherd and he offered to show me some C.T. scans." I looked down at my shoes. "I swear I didn't know you were working on this case."

Lexie relaxed a little and put her arm around me. "It's fine. You can tell me about your day after the surgery." I put on some scrubs, a mask, a standard scrub cap I found and entered the OR along with my sister and 3 other interns.

The surgery was going very well. I was learning a lot about Dr. Shepherd and his technique. It was 6 hours of perfect calm and silence until I saw the patient's body twitch. I looked around and the other interns were scribbling on their notepads which means they weren't paying attention.

"Dr. Shepherd?" I raised my hand.

"Yes, Dr. Grey?" Dr. Shepherd answered without looking up.

"The patient just moved."

He looked up and so did Dr. Yang.

"Dr. Grey are you sure?" Dr. Yang asked me.

"Yes I'm sure." I looked at the patient's body and sure enough, he moved again. "He did it again."

Dr. Yang looked at me directly. "Dr. Grey, hold down his legs. Make sure he doesn't move." I followed her instructions and stayed like that for 3 hours. The surgery was a success and we would check on him later.

As I exited the OR, I saw Chief Webber waiting for me.

"Lizzie. We need to talk."