♡28•Alone•28♡

Three weeks later, I was still in recovery. Carter and Chris came by to visit and so did Lena and Kara. Everyone that I worked with brought me flowers, chocolates, balloons, or stuffed toys which I appreciated. The only thing that I didn't have was Lexie because she was still looking at me from the outside, never entering my room.

It was 3 am and I couldn't sleep so I read some books that Lena and Kara bought me. Meredith, Cristina, George, and Alex visited me but they all went on their merry way to do their own surgeries. 20 minutes later, I noticed Lexie, Sadie, and Ryan walking around but I didn't think much of it.

I've been going crazy just sitting here in bed. Lena's bought me about 10 books and I've been reading them instead of actually sleeping. 

Halfway through reading The Titan's Curse, Dr. Sloan came in with a girl about my age.

"Dr. Sloan? What's going on?" I sat up a little straighter.

"Lizzie, this is Ivy. You're both 13. Talk about stuff." He gently pushed Ivy a little more towards me and left the room quickly.

"Uh, hi." I smiled at her. I could tell she was an introvert like me. 

"Hi." She said softly. She eyed the book in my hands. "You like Percy Jackson too?" A small smile grew on her face.

"Yeah, I'm obsessed with Percabeth right now. Lena got me an early copy from one of her friends in the publishing company. It's not technically supposed to be out yet but you can read it if you want." I showed her the fourth book of the series and her eyes lit up.

She took the book and we started reading in silence until I put down my book. "So why are you in the hospital?" I set my book down on the bedside table.

"My dad's been having nightmares and he fell out of the window." She used a receipt she found on the couch to bookmark the book.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. My dad's an alcoholic so I know what it's like to have to take care of your dad." I got out of my bed and sat beside her on the couch.

"It's my fault." She whispered quietly with a tear falling down her face.

"That's what I thought too but it's never our fault. I promise you that you didn't cause your dad's nightmares. Did you push him out the window?" She laughed a little and shook her head.

"See? Nothing to worry about. I didn't shove the bottle of scotch down my dad's throat so it's not my fault either. It just takes a while to realize that." She smiled and I gave her one of the chocolates I had saved for Lexie if she actually wanted to come in and not stare at me from afar.

"So why are you in the hospital? " She unwrapped the chocolate and took a bite.

"I needed an appendectomy. I actually work here at the hospital when I'm not awake at 3 am."

Ivy sat up straighter. "Seriously? No way." She laughed but I stood up to get my bag from the other side of the room. I fished out my hospital ID card and tossed it to Ivy who caught it.

"And I thought I did a lot." She laughed and tossed it back to me. "So if you're smart, do you think you can help me with my math homework?" She raised an eyebrow jokingly.

"Yeah I suck at math but misery loves company. My sister, Lexie is the one who's good at math." I sighed a little and Ivy noticed.

"Where is she?" She sat upright once more. 

"She works here but we had a fight 3 weeks ago so we don't really talk that much. What about you? Any siblings?" I sat down beside her.

"No. Just me. My mom died when I was young so it's just my dad and me." She shrugged.