Thirty-nine

"Would you like having dinner at my house?" I ask as I return to my seat

"Um . . . No, I'll pass. I have something to do this evening," Anne replies.

Of course you do.

"Oh, I see." I smile softly. "And you, Mamacita?" I throw a glance at Kenna, who's been yawning non-stop after wiping off her plate of food.

"Me? I think all I need is a good sleep, I swear." She sips her drink without grace, as though it tastes horribly, but I think the reason is the lack of chill in it. "Maybe tomorrow? Right, Anne?"

Abandoning her mobile, Anne mutters, "Sure. Tomorrow can do."

"Good. Tomorrow it is," I reply, a small cunning smile on my face as I look at Anne.

"Okay, Kenna. How about you start telling us about your Atlanta escapades with that Hollywood hunk, huh?" Anne suggests.

"Ah, that stuff.' Kenna rolls eyes. "Well, he was all blasts and fireworks until he turned into a solar eclipse, douchebag and sleazeball at once." With her disdained talk, a new topic arises.

We order some cocktails while at it and I keep a close tab on Anne, regardless of everything. I swear she's onto something shady; now more than ever I'm gonna delve into her scheme until I get something.

I'll find out whatever she's doing. Whether it's a secret romance that she's having with Derek Kingston, or something else that I can't yet put my finger on, I ought to discover it as soon as possible.

I have an itchy feeling that everything is connected with some of my problems.

It doesn't take long until the sun begins to jog over the hills. Precarious sight of the marmalade clouds in the Portland sky makes me realize that Anne may leave at any time, and I have to be one step ahead in my preparation for my stalking mission.

"Oh, I think my car is here." I stand up while gathering my things.

"You mean . . . Your hot bodyguard?" Deliberately, Kenna bites her bottom lip. My stomach clenches. "Aren't you going to introduce me?" She reclines back heavily, teasing me.

"No. I keep all my employees for myself. I'm a kinky bitch." I wear my bag with a wicked smirk, and they burst out laughing. "See you tomorrow, girls. Be good." I take my leave and wipe off the stupid smile on my face.

Please, girl. Anyone but Red.

The Lexus pulls over right beside me and Red scrolls down the driver's side window. I've got no time for pleasantries and he doesn't bother stepping out to regard my presence. I pitch my bag on the rear seat and slip in, Red's eyes on me until I take a seat.

"Did you get it?" I ask urgently.

Responsively, Red stretches his hand toward the passenger seat and produces something from a half opened box. A smile crosses on my face as he hands it to me, no word coming from his sexy lips.