Chapter 3.

After two hours of searching around the open market, I find everything on the list, except for one thing, the darn elderberries. Not a single produce vendor has any left. One after another tells me that they ran out for the week. How can you run out of elderberries, even during winter?! They're the fruit of the season! The constant let down fruit vendor after fruit vendor starts to mess with my cool. It's going to start getting dark soon and I still have to be back in time to make dinner!

"Someone's got to have some left. Step mother is going to -," like lightning, something blasts the remains of my thought to smithereens. Don't know how this happen. All I was trying to do is turn around. The hustle and bustle of the market disappears and I come face to face dancing with the sky.

"Oh, I'm so sorry! Are you okay, Miss?" a young man's face pops into view.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I catch my breath as he aids me back into vertical position.

"I can't say enough how sorry I am about this," the stranger keeps apologizing, but I know he's not the only guilty party in this.

"No, I'm sorry. I'm in such a rush and wasn't paying attention where I was going," my head is almost done spinning.

The man recovers quicker than me and already gathered my bought goods back into the basket.

"Here you go, Miss," he hands me back my groceries and for the first time in this encounter our eyes are on the same level and oh, my. This view I can get used to!

"No worries, Miss. I didn't bruise the produce and I'm sure your future in-laws will be pleased with their Winter's Match Dinner," his emerald green eyes pierce into mine.

"Oh, this isn't for me. I have no Match Dinner this season," quickly, I correct his assumption of my ineligibility.

"Oh, my Lord, the Matchmaker's eyes must be failing," this handsome brunette dare to tease me. "Again, I'm sorry for knocking you over."

Don't say that. I'm not!

"Actually, I didn't get to see the Matchmaker today."

"Lucky. Everyone of age is forced into this ordeal."

"Oh, I'm eighteen."

"And your parents didn't make you go?"

"Let's just say that my current occupation doesn't allow the time for a social life."

"You're not missing much. Trust me."

"Are you here to help your parents shop?" causally, I press on. It's so nice to being talked to like an equal.

"No, I'm actually hiding out from the Matchmaker," there's guilt in his voice.

"Oh, your parents must be furious with you," I giggle, imagining what's coming his way when he finally decides to return home.

"I'm sure it won't be that bad. The word on the street is that two of my brothers got matched with the Arlova sisters and they'll be much too happy to be mad at me."

He's an Midaf! And his brothers are engaged to my step sisters!

I swallow, suppressing the surprise.

"Don't worry. I'll be okay. I neither have the face or inheritance like my brothers. That's the reality of being the middle child," he must have confused my face expression for concern.

"Tell me about it," to that I can relate.

"Well, better let you go,"

Please don't!

"I've been holding you back long enough. Hope you find what you're looking for," he waves, making this farewell irreversible.

"About that. Do you know where I can find some red elderberries by any chance?" I remember why I'm here in the first place.

"I've been looking for them myself and been told they're all out," his wool shoulders shrug.

Oh, no! I was afraid he would say that. There's only one last possible place to find any. The forest.

"By the way, those are really nice mittens," he smiles.

"Thank you," looking down at them, I think of the wolf. "They were a gift," I shake my head at such unbelievable memory.

And just like the beast did, the Midaf brother disappears out of sight.

Where did he go? I didn't even get his name! Maybe, next time I will. There has to be a next time, but for now I must snap out of this fairytale and get back to real life. There's no getting around it. Tonight, after my step sisters are fed I'll have to brave the unavoidable in the dark, in the cold, and all alone.