Chapter 12

Something happened in the village during my interview at the mansion. Something interesting. Otherwise how else anyone could explain the gathering crowd at the Square.

"Everyone, please settle down!" someone yells.

Mika stops in his tracks and frowns, "That's my father," he recognized the voice.

Cautiously, he changes our course and heads towards it. I follow both him and my curiosity.

"Please, don't be alarmed. These men are here to help us," Mika's father tries to ease the people's worries.

As we get closer to the source of the commotion, it all makes sense why our simple folk are acting so intimidated. They have guns. Hunting rifles to be exact. Twelve men. Twelve rifles.

I've never saw so many guns all at once. The most I've ever seen were two pistols laid out in their box's velvet fitting, but that was a long time ago, almost three years. Platted in silver, I thought they were rather pretty until the shots were fired. A single bullet stuck my father's chest. The possibility of my father losing that duel never stuck me until his body hit the snow. Like all girls, I thought my father was invisible and it took me a while to accept that something round and so small could be so deadly. That was the prize he paid trying to defend my step mother's honor. On his behalf, I learned to know that it was not worth it.

"Who are they?" I look them over, wondering why they would bring something so dangerous over to my simple harmless village. Right away, I know that nothing good can come of this.

"I don't know, but they look like mountain men," Mika is a lot more willing to give them the benefit of a doubt.

It could be very much true. Apart from their weapons collection, their fur coats and hats, full beards, and chapped lips do give them the typical appearance of wild outdoor enthusiasts.

"They're mountain men! They mean no harm! As a matter of fact, they came to our aid!" Mika's father shuts down any kind of whispering.

This got everyone's immediate attention. How are they here to help? And most important, help us with what?

"Gentlemen, please introduce yourselves! Tell my fellows and neighbors what you told me!" Mika's father gives them the chance to explain their business here.

A big man, almost as big a bear that once wore all that fur steps out. But looks like that warm coat came at a cost - a large scar stretches down his face.

With his hand layered in mittens, he pets his red beard. "Thank you, Mr. Midaf," he gives the councilman a little bow before facing us all. "Me and my longtime friends are mountain men and we've been doing some hunting. You see, we've been tracking a pack of wolves that attacked some of my men and their families and their trail brought us all way down here. We heard that our trap was discovered by one of you and scared the holy ghost out this village. I can understand that and apologize that you had to witness something so gruesome, but I'm afraid that something more terrifying awaits in those woods and we are here to put a stop to their reign of terror. We are here to stop those wolves from attacking anyone else!"

Without any farther proof, I know they're telling the truth and makes me realize why Liam was called away from me during the Winter's Ball. But there must be more to the story that is being left out, either purposefully or due to a misunderstanding. Both the mountain men and Liam are not telling the whole truth.

"I want to go home," defeated, I pull away from the spectacle.

"Are you okay?" Mika stays by my side.

"Yes, I'm fine. I just need to hurry, so that my step family won't get suspicious."

"Can you believe this? Some crazed wolves are near our village?" Mika's tone grows excited.

"I don't know, Mika. Out of all the times I went into the forest, I've never seen one," I lie.

"You can't be doing that anymore. I mean going into the forest, at least till they figure out how to get rid of them."

"You don't have to worry about me. I know how to handle myself in the woods."

"But I'll worry anyway. I can't just sit and hope that nothing bad happens to you while your crazy step mother sends you away to fetch more elderberries or evergreen branches."

"Mika, this is being blown out of proportions. I'm sure they're just fear mongering us so that the village won't mind them hunting and trapping so close to our village."

"Maybe I should see if they could use some help," Mika's silly head begins to spit out some dangerous ideas.

"No, please don't do that," pleading, I shake my head.

"Why not? I know how to hunt. I know how to properly use a hunting rifle," he doesn't have the slightest clue of why I would so severely object to that.

"Please, this just doesn't feel right. There's something missing and I don't want you jumping into something like this so blindly."

My desperation gets to him, "alright, alright, I won't. But under one condition,"

"What is it," at this point, I was willing to do anything to save him.

"Do not go into the forest, night or day," he looks me in the eyes, daring me to make this deal.

"Okay, Mika. I promise I won't go there anymore," closing my eyes, I give in.

"And I won't be joining their haunting party," Mika seals our promise.

"Alright then," my shoulders finally relax.

"You know what..." he bites his lip.

"What?" I press him to finish his thought.

"It's kind of cute to see you so worried about me,"

"Don't flatter yourself," I give him a push, "I just don't want Mr. Denvers stumbling onto your body parts next time he goes squirrel hunting. He's been traumatized enough as it is."

The road comes to a point where we split our ways. My home is one way and his is on the other.

Not suspecting a thing, I enter my house and walk into the pantry to put away the groceries.

"I'm surprised to see you back, Victoria."

My step mother comes out of nowhere and nearly scares me to death.

"Oh, my lord," I put a hand on my chest, "step mother, you scared me."

"How was the market?" she leans against the doorway, trapping me inside amongst the shelved cheese, bags of flour, and boxed potatoes.

"It was fine. Just busy. The foot traffic was insane. The council finally figured out why there were slaughtered pigs in the forest and everyone was there to listen and meet the men who're responsible," playing it cool, I shelf the bread. "Apparently they are mountain men and they tracked down a dangerous wolf pack near our village."

"Oh, that's quite the news. I'm sure we'll find out more about this in the morning paper tomorrow."

"I hope so."

"And how was your interview?"

"What do you mean, step mother?"

"I believe you had an interview for a job at the Governor's Mansion today at 2. At least that's the date and time mentioned in this letter," she pulls a paper out of her pocket and unfolds it.

Oh, no. I've been found out. I don't know how, but she found my letter. She must have searched my room while I was gone shopping and found my secret under a loose floor board under my bed.

"So, please tell us. How did it go?" that smile can't mean anything good and I become even more trapped when Oksana and Irina emerge to join forces with her.