Chapter 9

The tiny pedals hypnotize me into a daydream as I spin the red lapel in my hand. Warm by the oven, I'm lost in my secret world while the raisin bread is cooling. The whistling pot calls me to fill the coffee press with hot water, but something about this morning makes me not mind the noise of screeching air pressure.

"Agh! Turn that pot off already!" still numb from last night's alcohol, Oksana is the first one to shuffle into the kitchen to grab a slice of fresh bake.

I don't mind her attitude either. Quickly, I hide the pin in my pocket, but her mind is still much too immobilized to notice anything out of place. My smile is the next thing I hide as I pour the coffee for her. She doesn't notice that either. Step mother and Irina can be heard walking and wailing down stairs, so I plate their hangover cures too.

A knock at the door is the next thing to upset Oksana. "Oh my gosh, make it stop," she holds on to her head.

Naturally, I obey and usually when I answer the door my response is either 'hello, please come on in' or 'thank you, but we're not buying anything.'

Not this time.

"Oh!" I'm surprised to see him standing on my front porch.

He didn't except to be running into me again either. "Oh, hi," but seems pleased.

"It's you!" I smile, remembering this boy from my recent trip to the market.

"My thoughts exactly. May I come in? My parents sent me on their behalf to speak to your mother, right away. Tell her it's urgent."

"Of course, come in. She's in the kitchen," I step aside.

"I didn't know you're one of the Arlova sisters," he hangs up his coat and scarf.

"I'm not," raising my brows, I smirk. "I'm my father's daughter, a Sterling. The evil step sister they have to endure."

He gets my joke.

"So, what's going on? Tell me, because they won't," I need to be prepared of becoming a scape goat, just in case he brings bad news. Lord forbid that the Midaf family are breaking up the engagements.

"No one is quite sure, but that's what everyone is trying to figure out,"

"Just tell me what you know," stepping in his way, I press to know first.

"Mr.Denver went hunting for squirrels this morning like he always does, but what he saw in the forest made him turn right around and run back."

"What did he see?" I worry that my wolf friend might have been spotted.

"Pigs. Dozens of them. All slaughtered. They were gutted and hanging off branches on ropes."

"What?" my heart skips a beat.

"Yes, pigs. Chopped up and hanging from trees. But no pig farmer is missing any."

"Where did they come from then?"

"Don't know. That's why I'm here, to tell your mother that my father is calling everyone for a village meeting at the Public Hall, tonight."

"Step daughter! Who is it?!" my step mother moans.

"It's one of the Midaf brothers! He has a massage for you from his father!"

"Oh?" she steps out of the kitchen and cautiously motions him to join her for a mid day breakfast. "Please, sit down. Have some hot coffee with me."

"I'd love some. Thank you," he nods with a smile.

My flustered step mother orders Oksana and Irina to take their coffee into their rooms, probably fearing that this unexpected visit has something to do with her daughters' engagements.

"That's disturbing, but what does that even mean?" frowning, I look down at the hard wood floor.

"I don't know. But if you ever need more elderberries, I won't be recommending to try the forest again," he walks away and joins my step mother at the table.

The Midaf brother doesn't stay long and after getting to the point of his visit, he leaves the house. As I start another fresh pot of coffee for my hangover step family, they start to panic.

"I can't go to the meeting. My head hurts so bad," Oksana whines.

"Your handover was the least of my worries. For a moment I thought his family send him to call off your engagements," step mother says.

"Well, I can't go either. You're not the only one with a splitting headache," Irina folds her hands and pouts her mouth.

"Maybe we can skip it. It's just a village meeting," either unmoved or indifferent to the news of slaughtered pigs hanging in the forest, Oksana shrugs her shoulders and causally butters another piece of raisin bread.

"No, one of us has to go. This isn't just another ordinary meeting. Something happened and people are scared," step mother's coffee mug makes a hard landing. Obviously, she's annoyed at Oksana for not sharing her concern about the Arlova reputation.

"Please don't make me go! Irina is the oldest. She should go," Oksana nods at her target.

"No way!" Irina protests. "I'm still green in the face. If my fiance sees me looking like death the way I do, he is sure to call off the wedding."

Oh my dear Lord! Please shut up! I fight not to roll my eyes as I set a fresh pot in front of them.

"This is just an idea, but if you want, I can go," seeing an opportunity to get away from them, I carefully volunteer.

Both Oksana and Irina look at me, then at their mother who's deep in thought about it.

I can tell my step sisters are all for it.

"You know what, that's actually not a bad idea. One of us needs to go to keep up with the image, but I can't risk my daughters suddenly getting sick in front of everyone," nodding, she warms up to my suggestion.

All three of us girls, hold our breath.

"You still have something suitable to wear for tonight, don't you?" step mother frowns.

Eagerly, I answer. "Yes, yes, I do. I still have a few nice casual dresses that father gave me."

"Huh. I thought I sold them all, but okay," she takes a sip, "Victoria, you may go."

"Oh, thank God for that," Oksana relaxes.

"Well, I hope you still remember how to behave like a lady. Just don't say or do anything to embarrass us." As always, Irina never fails to undermine me every chance she gets.

"Don't worry. I remember," I smile.

As far as I'm concerned, I remember my 'thank you's and 'please's way better than her.