Chapter 8

The music resumes and the guests return to their entertainment. With no conversation to come back to, my eyes stay on the Governor's son as he makes his way down the stairs.

"Hello. Are you enjoying yourself so far?" face to face, he stands in front of me.

"Have we meet before?" squinting, I turn my head.

"On few occasions, yes we have. Quite recently, too,"

"It was last week then. First, you dropped off some mittens for me, then a few days later you helped me collect elderberries. Then this."

"Yes," his smile confirms that my suspicions of who he really is must be true, "but I've meet you once more before all that, a long time ago."

"I don't remember," I'm taken back, as if I would ever forget a single meeting with a wolf shifter.

"No, of course you wouldn't. You were too grief stricken to remember everyone who came to offer their condolences at father's funeral."

"You knew my father?"

"My father knew your father. From what I learned they graduated from same school and did business a few times early on into their careers."

"So, you're not a total stranger,"

"I guess I'm not. In that case, would you like to dance?"

"Yes, I would," playing flattered, I let him lead me towards the dance floor.

His hand cradles around my lower back, gently drawing me near. Just I thought those eyes couldn't get more magical, they grow closer. They burn brighter and I find myself in a world that has two full moons shining down on me. I can almost hear a pack of wolves howling at them.

A certain warmth, that in no way can be mistaken for body heat, radiates from him. An envelope of feeling safe enwraps me. For the first time in a long time, I do not feel like I'm a burden or a nuisance that must bust her butt off to earn her keep. For the first time, I feel like I'm a gift, a privilege, a blessing that one must prove to be worthy of. Out of all that he has given me, this feeling I'll cherish the most.

"Thank you...for everything," overwhelmed, I can only manage to whisper, but he hears me as if his ears are attuned to my voice.

"Your welcome," he nods.

Like a sizzling slice of butter on a hot cast iron, I glide all over the dance floor under his guidance. And as I melt away, my only prayer is not to get neglected and burnt in the end.

"Sir?" suddenly, an unwanted interruption, but my dance partner fights not to let my dream end so soon.

"Wait till the dance is over," he tells the man.

But this staff member is persistent. "I can't wait, Sir. This can't wait."

"What is it?" my date pauses.

"There has been a breach. Your father is waiting upstairs. He'll explain," the wide eyed messenger swallows hard.

I'm no genius, but this looks more serious than some party crasher who got caught. Something of great consequence must have gone terribly wrong. A terrible realization kills all the light in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry, but I must go," his breathing becomes heavy as if getting ready to either fight or flight.

"Let me help," I refuse to let go.

"No," shaking his head, he looks at me as if I suggested something completely crazy.

"But, when will I see you again?" my body grows cold as his warmth slips away.

"Soon, I promise," his lips press against my hand, but how can that ever be enough for me.

"I don't even know your name. I don't even know where I can find you," I'm on a verge of panic as he's being stollen away by some dreadful emergency.

But he's already half way gone and I watch him disappear behind the walls on the second floor.

"I'm sorry, Miss, but no guests are allowed upstairs," the staff member shuts down the idea, before I can even manage to think of it in the first place. As if I could even overcome the security guards already blocking the way. Instead, I stay behind, hoping that things will turns out alright for my wonderfully most unusual friend.

The staff encourages me to keep enjoying the party, but I decline. As fun as it might sound I can't risk being recognized by my step sisters any longer, but something on the floor catches my attention as I'm making up my mind to leave. A lapel flower that was attached to the Governor's son dress coat has gotten loose and this small red pin becomes my only evidence of meeting him in his human form. I take it for safekeeping, until we meet again.