Chapter 7

No detail has gone neglected. The ride to the Winter's Ball has been arranged and I had no trouble getting to the Governor's Mansion. The double doors are help open by two official greeters and they bow to me and few other late arrivals. Careful not to mess it up, I lower the hood, revealing a web of green and white gems dripping over my long black hair. A most helpful butler collects my red mittens and brand new coat, exposing my shoulder bearing dress.

I look around and my senses become overwhelmed by the elegant beauty all around me. The shine of my ball gown is almost as exceptional as that giant crystal chandelier high above me. I turn my head to the sound of the orchestra playing to my left. The violin melody is like a drug to my ears, but nothing is more intoxicating than the scent of warm chocolate tickling my nose. Looks I'm having that cake tonight.

On my way to finding the dessert bar, a server in a tailored suit offers me a sparkling beverage. Ooh, champagne! Don't mind if I do! With a thankful smile, I take a glass and go look at the delicious offerings displayed on a long table. There's so much to choose from, but a piece of rich chocolate cake is no brainer.

With a few bites in and no warning, the music suddenly stops. Everyone notices the unwanted change in the atmosphere and looks around.

"Ladies and Gentlemen!!" a man's voice calls everyone to make their way to the ballroom, "may I please have your attention! Please, I have an announcement to make!!"

My slice of chocolate and raspberry cake accompanies me out of the buffet room and I follow the crowd to see what is going on.

At the top of a mountain made of stairs and red carpet I spot an old man and his old lady, both well decorated with award brooches. Both, very well dresses for the occasion. I might be wrong, but they looks like the Governor and his wife. I recognize their faces from the pictures in the morning paper.

"Ladies and Gentlemen from all villages and towns! Welcome! I apologize for interruption, but I have news! Good news! Great news!!" he sound very excited about something. Hope it's something actually good, like repairing some of those bridges or tax cuts on wheat.

"My one and only son, Liam, has completed his studies and has returned from the university to our wonderful, mountainous territory of Winterlight!" The Governor motions a formally dressed man to come closer and like a good son, he complies.

I roll my eyes.

It looks more like he has returned from boot camp, minus the haircut.

"And I'm happy to see this young man follow into my footsteps and start his law career in my office! I know he arrived here a month ago, but I would like to take this opportunity for all of us to welcome him together!"

Everyone applauses. I don't. I can't. I've got a dessert plate in one hand and a fork in another.

Obviously a bit embarrassed, the tall, handsome man takes the spotlight. "Thank you, father, mother, everyone, for such a warm welcome," he shakes his old man's hand, then turns to the crowd below, "and thank you everyone for coming to the Winter's Ball! I hope you'll have a wonderful time at my father's house!"

The Governor's prized son lifts his champagne glass to the adoring crowd, but something in those eyes say that he's raising a toast only to me. Something in his eyes, golden brown, enticing, and untamed like the wild honey, takes an unmistakable aim straight into mine. Willingly, I fall into this enchanting trap and our gazes lock.

I'm glad you could make it. I hear his voice in my head..