Chapter 5

How much stuff did they order?! That doorbell has been ringing since morning and each time, it's a delivery man with a fancy box.  With my step mother constantly complaining about taxes and asking for an extension, I can't imagine how she can possibly afford all this new jewelry and dresses.   That Match dinner must have gone really well for her to be spending so much for the Winter's Ball.  

"Oh, this must be my new shoes!"  Oksana grabs the sting tied package out of my hands.  

"Darn it! My new corset better be here on time! I can't have my fiancé think I look fat at the ball!" an annoyed Irina, storms back to her room.

"Don't be slamming that door!"  step mother yells at her.

I wonder if there's anything ordered for me.  With all the matches secured, there are still plenty of bachelors and bachelorettes that need to be introduced.  After all,  the whole village's point of throwing this dance is to see who will still be available for the next matchmaking.  Not just to celebrate the new marriage engagements.  Besides, I think I deserve a little treat for making such delicious elderberry sauce that their future in-laws loved so much. 

"Step mother? May I speak with you?"  I decide to take advantage of the time between the door bell rings. 

"What do you want?" 

Come on, Victoria! Speak!  This could be your chance to get out of here!

"I was wondering if I could join you guys tonight?" 

"What are you talking about? Join us for what?"  step mother seems very confused.

"The Winter's Ball?  I was wondering if I could come too?"  nervous as heck, my hands keep on twisting the edge of my apron.  I hold my breath as I wait for her reply.  Talking to a wolf is one thing, but asking for something from my step mother is a league of its own. 

"The Winter's Ball?  You want to go the the Winter's Ball?" her laugh doesn't make me feel any easier. 

"Ye - yes,"  

"But you have nothing to wear.  I didn't order you anything,"  she decides to humor my request a bit longer. 

"That's okay. Maybe Oksana or Irina might let me borrow some of their old things?"

"Oksana! Irina! Come here, please! Victoria wants to ask you something!" turning her head toward the hallway, she calls on them.

I didn't expect this! I thought that she might brush it of with swift 'no' and continue sharing some more of shortbread with her pet chickadee. 

"Ugh! What could she possibly want?!"  Irina drags her feet.  Oksana follows behind her.

"Victoria wants to go to the ball with us, but got nothing to wear.  Can she borrow anything from you two?"

"Well, let me think,"  Irina looks me over up and down. "I have a corset that no longer fits my bust, but she's too flat chested even for that. What about you, sister, do you have anything she can borrow?"  

"Hmmm," Oksana starts to circle me, "I have some high heels that are last season, but they'll be way too small for her big feet."

"I have some white pearls I don't like anymore, but with her skin tone they'll blend right in.  So that won't help her look any less like a zombie."

I close my eyes, trying to endure this trap I should have seen coming miles away. 

"Maybe there's a dress she can borrow? I'm sure she can fix it up to her size," step mother encourages this to go on.

"Oh yes, I do have a dress I'm more than willing to let her wear," Oksana gasps.

"I do too, she can see which one she like better!" Irina seems to understand what her younger sister is talking about.

"Victoria, you can have our black dresses we wore to your father's funeral!"  they grin. 

 My heart shatters.  Like a deer shot through the chest, I run off into hiding, deep into the cellar where I know those two killers won't follow me.