chapter 2

x

x. rivera

I cannot believe I'm going through this shit again.

One minute I'm spray painting a very detailed and artistic pair of testicles on the side wall of my school, and the next I'm sitting in the principals office waiting for Mr. AssHat to decide my punishment.

This was the third time this month.

I'm disappointed in how lazy I've gotten with my pranks lately. The fact that I've been caught not once but thrice in only a month is almost embarrassing. If it weren't for the fact that I don't give a shit what becomes of me or my reputation, I'd probably be ashamed.

Mostly I'm just annoyed because I know that Lachlan is going to be up my ass about this.

Damn, uptight ass.

Suddenly the office door slams open and in walks principal Erikson with a smug look on his fucked up face. God how I'd love to beat that look right off him.

He walks towards his desk with an extra pep in his step and when he sits down he turns his chair to face me and interlocks his hands over a file he placed down.

"Xanthe, what a surprise." He exclaims, smiling condescendingly at me. I smile back sarcastically and roll my eyes.

"Let's just get this over with, Henry." I say to him, knowing how much he hates being addressed with his first name. Something about wanting to be respected.

As if.

His confident look slowly disappears and is quickly replaced by a scowl.

"Well, Xanthe, seeing as this is your third time in my office this month, you are due a suspension." He tells me.

"Great. Can I go now?" I ask.

Lachlan would sure be pissed with my suspension but I knew if I stayed here a second longer, Mr Erikson would be leaving with a black eye and me, an expulsion from this god forsaken school.

I'd never hear the end of it.

"Actually, Xanthe, I was thinking there could be a way for you to work around this suspension." Mr. Erikson said.

I lifted my gaze from my shoes to look at this mans' face. He can't be serious? In all the time that I have been at this school, in and out of trouble, Mr. Erikson has never before offered a second option.

"Alright. What do I have to do?" I asked begrudgingly.

I knew it couldn't be good but if there was a way to avoid getting another mark on my precious school record, I'd take it. My dear brother would start hemorrhaging if didn't graduate this year.

He looked at me with a smile and then unfolded the file he had brought when he walked in.

"Our school is hosting a Big Brothers and Big Sisters event. We are short on student volunteers for the program so it's been my duty to seek out students and convince them to volunteer. Usually I would look for somebody who is responsible, good with kids, and generally a good student overall, but I have nobody left, so I'm offering this opportunity to you." He said seriously.