chapter 8

a

a. evans

The hallway was empty and silent apart from the faint sound coming from the ventilation system.

Another meeting was planned today for the program so I was currently trudging through the halls on my way to the gym.

It's been a week since I had hung out with Xanthe and to say I was nervous would be an understatement. I had so much fun with him last week but I'm scared that was a one time thing and he's going to go back to hating me again.

Deep inside me though I had this underlying feeling of excitement. I've never had friends. I've been bumped around orphanages and foster care houses for the majority of my life and I never could connect with anyone. Not for lack of trying. I was a very bubbly kid and I always tried to put an effort into radiating positive energy for those around me. Most kids found my constant smiles and clinginess to be overbearing and wouldn't stick around with me for more than a week before deciding I wasn't friendship material. After that I started to stick to myself and keep my chirpy side at bay.

Xanthe, for whatever weird reason, made me feel happy again. Despite his grumpiness and unforgiving glares, I felt comfortable with him. Like I could be myself again. Like I made a friend.

It was embarrassing to admit that I thought of Xanthe as a friend. He definitely wouldn't consider me his friend. I'm not even really sure if he likes me or is only putting up with me because he has to. Maybe a bit of both. He probably has more than enough friends that are better company than some silly 13 year old orphan girl he got stuck with.

As my brain started to turn on itself my body was pushed up against the wall harshly and suddenly, the hallway wasn't so empty anymore.

Now in front of me within a few inches of my face, was a very malicious looking Sage. He towered over me by only a few inches, but it was enough to deeply intimidate me as I shrank as far into the wall as I could, grasping for safety and desperately wishing for a secret door I could slip into.

Sage started talking to me and I felt his breath on my face as he stood so close. The hairs on my neck and arms stood straight up as I realized I was completely alone in the hall with no teachers or other student body to pass by.

"Let-let me go, Sage." I tried to demand, but it came out as more of a plea and I watched as his smug face contorted into an angry looking one.

"Don't let her make demands, Sage!" I heard from behind my bully. It was then that I finally noticed that Sage and I weren't actually alone. His friends were here too. Oliver was the one who spoke. Sage's best friend.

"You're right. The only words she should be uttering are pleas for help." Sage says, turning his head away from his friends and back to me, harshly gripping my face and squishing my cheeks together as he leans in to whisper in my ear.

"Don't speak unless you're begging for mercy."

He released his grip on my face and slapped me so hard that my head whipped to the side. I didn't have time to run away before his friends had grabbed my arms tightly and secured them behind my back.