chapter 5

third person

third person

The rain poured down harshly on the unconscious girl as she lay vulnerable on the cold concrete. It was almost 4 o'clock which means that the only caregiver who leaves the orphanage during the day would not be back for another 2 hours.

Any cars driving by most likely wouldn't notice the motionless little girl on the sidewalk as the downpour was making it near impossible to see.

Near impossible.

An old man drove down the road cautiously, cursing under his breath at the low visibility he could see through his windshield. He couldn't see a thing.

Mentally thanking his wife for making him bring his new smartphone to work with him he pulled out the complicated device and fumbled around with it until he found the maps app.

He had just pulled up the directions to his house when his phone flashed.

Low signal.

With another curse he stepped out of his car and held the phone high to the sky, his other hand covering it as to avoid water damage.

With no luck the man continued walking, trying to find a signal until he noticed something laying on the ground in front of him.

"What the hell?" He whispered to himself.

𒊹︎ ꕥ꧁꧂ ꕥ 𒊹︎

The hospital was empty. Aside from the kids with broken bones from roughhousing on the playground and a few new mothers, there was no rush today.

That was until a man came rushing through the doors with an unconscious little girl in his arms. That caught the attention of a bored looking Emerald Rivera who was sat at the front desk of the ER fiddling with a pen to keep himself entertained. This was his first year of medical residency and he wasn't very impressed.

"I need help!" The man called out. With no other doctors or nurses in sight, Emerald rushed over to the distraught man.

"I- I was driving home from work and I saw her on the side of the road. Is she okay?!" The man stuttered, scared and concerned for the girl.

Without a word Emerald took the unconscious girl from the old man's arms and rushed her over to an empty hospital bed.

After getting her settled and inserting an IV, he walked out of the small hospital room to see if the man that brought her in was still there.