chapter 9

a

a. evans

My eyes squinted open and I groggily sat up, only to realize I was in the backseat of a moving vehicle. In a panic I immediately reached to the door closest to me and pulled, trying to open it and jump out.

The drivers head swung around to meet mine and a sense of relief came over me when I realized I was in Xanthe's car.

"Are you crazy?! We're on a highway!" He yells in shock. I shrink back into my seat, reaching for a seatbelt. Although I was very confused and in quite a bit of pain, safety always came first.

"Don't bother with the belt. We're already here." He says, just as we pull into a a long driveway. We approach a gate and Xanthe rolls down his window, typing in a pin code on the touchpad of the gate. It opens slowly and we ascend down the road, suddenly being met with a ginormous mansion the size of Russia.

My mouth gapes open as I watch the fountain spray water in intricate patterns and turn different colours.

My door is yanked open and I flinch back before realizing Xanthe had opened it for me. Suddenly remembering that I have no idea where I am or why I'm here in the first place I push myself further into the car, wincing in pain when my battered body hits the other door.

"Why am-am I here?" I ask him. The last thing I remembered was being cornered by Sage and his friends as they teased and tortured me. My eyes teared up as I thought back to how scared I felt in that moment before I quickly reached up and brushed the tears away with my arm.

"Come on Ainsley you need help." He says, reaching in to grab me. I pull my arms away from him as my heartbeat accelerates. It's not that I was scared of Xanthe, no, I was scared of the situation I had found myself in.

"Where are we?" I asked him, tucking my knees to my chest.

"We're at my house. I didn't know what to do when I found you in the halls so I brought you here. My brother is a doctor ... kind of." He explains.

Remembering Emerald from the hospital I slowly nodded my head and exited the vehicle, taking Xanthe's hand for help.

Before walking with him to house I take a moment to look at my surroundings. There are at least 10 cars in the driveway and from what I can see, a huge backyard.

"Are you coming?" Xanthe calls, now several feet in front of me. Snapping my head up I quickly nod and run to him, wincing slightly at the movement.

He opens the door and grunts as he kicks off his shoes, telling me to leave mine at the door.

Looking down at my yellow converse I see that they now have blood splatters on them which makes me frown, their happy colour now being tainted by an ugly memory.

The sound of feet pounding against the floor snapped me out of my haze and I looked up to see 6 pairs of eyes staring back at me.

I squeaked in fear and grabbed onto the closest thing I could find out of instinct.