chapter 1

a

a. evans

"Only five dollars?"

"Please leave me alone, Sage." I plead, tears welling up in my eyes. I didn't want to look into his antagonizing gaze because then he would see me cry and that would make my situation so much worse. He hated it when I cried.

"Shut the fuck up. God you're such a cry baby. What? You gonna go tell your mommy? Oh wait, I forgot. She's dead." My heart stopped. I knew I wouldn't be able to hold back my tears now. As the first one slid down my cheek Sage immediately noticed and started laughing hysterically.

"What's going on here?"

Sage and his friends immediately stop laughing and everyone in the hallway watching starts clearing the room.

"Oh hey Mr. Hale. I was just asking Ainsley if I could borrow some money for lunch." Sage says, holding up the money to show the teacher. One of his friends looks back at me and glares.

"I see. Is this true Ainsley?" Mr. Hale asks, his gaze turning to me. My head was looking down so he couldn't see my face. I knew better than to snitch. Sage would get me later for it.

I quietly sniffled and brought my hand up to my face as if I was scratching it before turning to my teacher and giving him a bright smile.

"Yes Sir. Sage was very sweet about it." I say, lying straight through my fake smile. Mr. Hale looks at me with question in his eyes before nodding his head.

"Well you kids should head down to the lunchroom now. Your break is almost over."

With that he leaves the hall and steps into his classroom. As soon as he closes the door, Sage is right by my side clutching my wrist tight enough to form a bruise.

"Next time, orphan, bring me more than a measly five dollar bill." He says. He than forcefully drops my wrist and just as I turn to head to my locker, I feel a tug at my hair. Then my foot catches on something and I fall face first to the ground. One of his friends had tripped me.

I hear quiet snickers and then footsteps walking away. I couldn't see anything though because my hair was all over the place. Sage had stolen my hair elastic which was holding back my thick hair. Now it was loose and probably looking a mess.

I cleared the mop of hair currently resting on my head out of my face and then looked up to see that my books had been dropped and now I had papers everywhere.

I sighed. I mean it's not like I have a lunch to eat now. At least I still have some time before the bell rings to pick up my papers.

Just as I finished picking up all of my books and loose papers the bell had rung. I quickly but still neatly shoved my things into my backpack and threw it over my shoulder. Last class.

Time for English.

•••

"Miss Evans could you stay back and chat with me for a second." My teacher, Mrs. Montgomery asks sweetly. I was one of the last people to leave the class. I always was. If I went first I had a higher chance of being tripped or shoved.