chapter 11

a

a. evans

I had managed to avoid Sage and his friends for the large majority of the school day, only having had one encounter near the end of the day where he shot me a nasty glare followed by a smirk at the bruises littered across my skin.

Nobody paid much mind to the damage of my skin because it had become a normalized sight. Everybody knew I was a prime target for bullies.

I was now attending my last class of the day and then I would be heading to the gym for an announcement about the Big Brothers and Big Sisters annual trip. To put it simply, I was dreading it.

I have no idea how I am going to be able to get away from the orphanage for an overnight trip. I could easily forge a signature for Miss Harrison but it would be near impossible for her to not notice my absence for a night. I was her 'favourite' after all.

The bell rang and I begrudgingly got up from my seat and packed my bag, heading straight to the gym so as to not anger Xanthe. I inwardly giggled at the thought of his face red with anger and steam coming out of his ears.

I managed to actually reach the gym without being pummelled this time. Score. My hand reached the handle and pulled the heavy door open, only to discover the senior boys basketball practice. All their heads whipped over at the sound of the old screechy door opening and I immediately flushed red.

"Um. Your fly is down!" I pointed at one of the boys and then made a beeline for the exit. When I exited the gym I heaved a sigh and then mentally scolded myself. His fly is down? He was wearing sweatpants!

I will never forgive myself for that interaction.

"I guess it's in gym 2..."

𒊹︎ꕥ꧁꧂ꕥ𒊹︎

When I finally found the correct gym, I had quickly spotted Xanthe due to his staggering height and made my way over to him.

"Hi!" I smiled at him. His head did not move from its downward position while he stared at his phone, but his eyes darted over to me. He glanced over me and finally lifted his head and grunted.

Ooh. Grumpy today.

"This place is hard to find!" I exclaimed, not caring that he would likely completely ignore every word that comes out of my mouth.

Like I assumed, I was given no answer, but his eyebrow quirked and I watched as a look of annoyance and confusion washed over him.

I took this as a sign that he wanted me to continue.

"Well I wasn't aware that it wasn't being held in the usual gym. I walked in and the entirety of the senior boys basketball team was staring right at me!" I explained while blushing.