chapter 10

a

a. evans

I looked at Lachlan sheepishly and waved, internally smacking myself on the head for being so awkward.

"I can explain.." I started, hoping I wasn't going to be in trouble for being here.

I explained everything to Lachlan and didn't miss any details, because when he felt I wasn't telling the whole truth, he would give me a stern look that would intimidate me into telling him. Not scary per se, but it definitely effectively got me to blurt out my whole life story like I was given a shot of truth serum.

The whole time I spoke he stayed quiet, not making any faces that would convey how he was feeling and barely even blinking.

"-and that is why I'm here." I finish, smiling brightly at him.

He stares at me with a calculated look and then his eyes soften.

"I'm so sorry." He says simply, extending his arms as an offering. I gladly accept the offer and step into his arms, revelling in the warmth of a hug that I've yearned for for years.

"Of course you can stay the night. Have you contacted your parents to let them know?" He says, releasing me from the hug and leaving me feeling cold.

"Uh, no." I say, struggling to answer the question without revealing the truth. This is going to be a problem.

"Here, I'll let you borrow my phone and you can call to let them know." He says, trying to be helpful but only making things harder for me. I plaster a fake smile on my face and reluctantly grab the phone from him.

"Alright I'll just go up and get the guest room ready for you to stay in." He says, heading out of the kitchen and leaving my field of vision.

I sighed in contempt and then decided I would just have to pretend to call my 'parents' and hope Lachlan doesn't go through his call log and see that I didn't call anyone.

A couple minutes later Lachlan walked back into the room and I quickly lifted the phone to my ear and said, "Thanks! Bye mom."

Lachlan smiled at me and took his phone back.

"Your room is ready, follow me." He says, motioning with his hand towards the stairs.

I silently followed him up the stairs in awe. As we travelled further into this house it seemed to increase in size and I was sure if I didn't have a guide I'd be lost.

"Here we are. I asked the twins to lend you some of their clothes to sleep in for the night. They're the smallest but..." his voice trails off as he holds up a shirt the size of Bigfoot and sweatpants taller than Mount Everest.

"I'll leave you to change and come back for your dirty clothes so I can put them through the washer." He says, closing the bedroom door behind me.

I take a second to observe the room I'm in. Had I not been told it was a guest bedroom, I probably would have assumed it was the master bedroom.