Chapter 5 - Rafe

Anger seizes through my veins. Letting out a deep breath through my nose, I remain calm. Just staring her down. How would she know the symptoms of withdrawal? She probably just assumed... Or maybe she's not so prim and proper after all. Maybe she has seen a glimpse of the real world. And maybe that wasn't the first body she'd seen as well? She did act unbelievably calm after all. While I was shaken to the core, she was so monotone. Like the whole scene didn't faze her one bit. Unless she's just as good at hiding her emotions as I am?

"There's no daddy's money. Daddy's dead." I correct.

I couldn't have her know dear old dad was still alive and well, that he was the reason we are in this mess. How I was gonna convince her I didn't do the killing of the man, I didn't know. I tell myself it's for legal reasons and to keep myself in the clear, but deep down I know I care what this girl thinks of me and I don't know why. It bothers me. But either way, I can't exactly explain how Ward gets rid of anyone who gets in his way and tosses them over his shoulder for me to do the final dirty work. It was our mutual agreement. My roll to play in the family. Even if the whole idea still makes me feel sick. I just need to convince myself that killing is the way of life. You see it everyday; animals kill as a way to survive. Nature isn't beautiful... it's a lie.

*****

I'm sitting in the same spot fast asleep when the sound of a door opening startles me and my eyes fly open. My chin is touching my chest as my head hangs low, when I hear keys rattling as the guard strolls toward our cell. I immediately straighten. What time is it? I begin nudging Citrus's foot with mine. If that's even her real name, for all I know she named that at the top of her head. I've given her no reason to trust me anyway.

She's laying on her side and there's drool on the side of her mouth. Cute.

Where did that thought come from? That's not cute at all.

"Citrus, get up." I hiss with annoyance.

When she wakes up she starts to look around in confusion, then her eyes land on me and it's as if she realises what happened last night wasn't a dream. The disappointed look she gives me tells me the last face she wanted to wake up to was mine. Rude.

"Wakey, wakey." The guards steps come to a stop,"Okay, which one of you wanna nuisances wanna go first?" he queries.