Chapter 18 - Lia

With my schoolbag in the back of my car, I'm heading over to Savannah's house. If my plans weren't so rudely interrupted yesterday, my homework could have been done already.

I guess I can be thankful though, I now have an excuse to get out of the house and avoid my Aunt. Considering she didn't stop by yesterday, she should be stopping by today to check in and I'd much rather not be around when she does.

Last night was a disaster. What if my aunt was there and witnessed Rafe carrying my unconscious body to bed? She would have lost her shit and I would be dead.

My brain likes to have a system, a pro's and con's list to be exact. It's how I cope when my brain is about to explode with mixed emotions.  And right now calls for a list.

CON'S:
1. Rafe murdered someone...
2. I found him dumping a body
3. I went to jail for a night because of him
4. He kidnapped me
5. He's the reason I got drugged and kidnapped by Logan

PRO'S:
1. He only killed someone to protect his dad...
Mmm. Still sounds bad.
2. He saved me from Logan
3. He gave me a ride home from the party when I was drunk
4. He makes my body come alive whenever he's near
5. He made sure I was safe by staying the night

Seems like a tie breaker to me... Which leaves me back to square one.

On the other hand a BOY slept in MY BED last night. I should hate the idea, but honestly finding him there made me feel weirdly safe.
I know, I know, I felt safe with a murderer in my bed. I sound like a complete moron, but can you blame me? I'm aware I should hate the guy, he put me in that mess in the first place, but I can't help but feel excited by the concept of danger.

Maybe my lack of a social life is just getting to me? He can't be trusted and I know that. I won't allow myself to let my guard down around him. I can't.

The image of his face just inches away from mine pops into my head. His dark intimidating eyes sweeping over me.

They have this harsh look to them that can be quite scary, but I realised all they were missing was a smile. Every time he smirks at me, the blue shines just a little brighter.

Did I just run a red light?

I check behind me, looking through my review mirror. Yup, there are cars stuck at the traffic light.

Oops...

I went through everything in my head and came to the conclusion the best results come from Savannah not knowing the events of the last night.

I may have told Savannah a white lie over the phone to cover up the last twenty four hours. I've gone without sharing my business for long enough, I shouldn't feel this need to start sharing now. So why do I feel guilty? Some things are just best kept a secret, it's not worth freaking her out.

Savannah now thinks an emergency came up and I had to visit my dad in rehab. I told her that when I got home my aunt was waiting there for me and I ended up leaving in her car. I apologized profusely for not finding a way to contact after realising I left my phone in my car. She told me I could pop over to her place today and get my work done with her.

I swallow down the rise of bile. I'm not the biggest fan of lying and it feels like acid on my tongue.

"Turn left in half a quarter mile." My GPS calls out to me.

After a few more turns I arrive at my destination and pull into what I think is Savannah's driveway. It's long and by the time I reach the house I am speechless.

There's no way this is the right place...

I double check the address I put in and it's the exact one she sent me. Her house is huge! And I mean biggest house I've ever seen on the island huge! What the hell do her parents do? Why didn't she tell me this?