Chapter 7 - Rafe

It's warmed up since we left the station at six-thirty this morning. I look over the dash board and spot the time, it's almost eight now. I could really use a shower and a fresh set of clothes, but not until I'm done following Citrus home. I can't just let the girl walk after all that happened last night, she's a liability I need to take care of. Once I know where she lives, I can plan accordingly from there.

I find myself quite curious in Ms. Vitamin C. I smirk at that, if she doesn't want me calling her princess, I have other nicknames in mind. Just the right ones to really piss her off.

After her little show of stomping around like a toddler having a tantrum, I will certainly not spare her any kindness. "This is all your fault!" Her words play back to me. You know, everyone always says it's my fault? Never anyone else's. She's just like the rest of them. They don't understand the pressure. I have to do what I have to do. Why does no body get that? Everyone's always against me. Whether it be Sarah, my own family. Or Topper, my childhood best friend. Even Barry, my drug dealer, who was there for me from the start. He betrayed me and turned my ass over to the cops. I haven't been able to get my fix since he double crossed me. It's how this Citrus girl was able to notice my withdrawal.

I slam my hand down on the cars console. I'll make everyone pay for how wrong they did me. Who the hell does this girl think she is talking to me that way? She has no idea what's coming.

Speaking of no idea, I didn't have a clue just how far of a drive I signed up for. I knew she lived on the other side of the island, but damn. What was she doing this side, so far away from home. I never gave the idea much thought before, but now I'm really interested as to how she found me. Why was she driving down that road so late at night? She needs to be more careful, she could have encountered someone dangerous.

As I cross over to the land of Pogues, everything starts to make sense. I can see it now. A good for nothing Pogue she is, just like Sarah tries so hard to be.

Citrus is apart of the working class, but oh gosh do I wish I had someone like her hanging around my place to clean and look after the boat. I can just imagine her in... nope, I snap myself out of it. I can't allow myself to think like that. What am I doing? Fantasizing over a Pogue in skimpy clothes, prancing around.

I need to stay focused and remember the way to her house. This way it'll be easier to keep an eye on her. I can't afford to have a witness walking freely about. Not to mention, if my father finds out about last night, he'll think I wasn't careful enough. He'll want her dead too, and I can't handle killing another person. Sheriff Peterkin took enough out of me, I don't know much more of this shit I can take.

I focus my attention back on the present, keeping an eye on the back of Citrus's car. I notice her four cars ahead taking a right. I need to concentrate, If I drift off again I'll lose her. It's not like she's leaving breadcrumbs for me to trace back to her. I need to focus.

Was this even a good idea? Following her home? That's when a plan sets in.

First she needs to check in with her parents so no red flags are raised. They need to see she's fine and I need to make sure she doesn't spill her guts to them. If she does, this is going to be a lot harder than it needed to be.

If she manages to keep her trap shut, I'll consider whether I trust to leave her alone here for the night. I'll be back though. I just need to checkup with dad, make sure he thinks everything went according to plan. I'm in charge now and I need to show him I'm capable of being the man of the house. I have a few more loose ends to tie. For starters, finding my little sister Sarah's whereabouts. Sarah and her crew are still no where to be found and I promised my dad I'd find her.

I'm able to make out Citrus parking her car up ahead, so I park way back here where I'm out of sight. I wait a minute before I climb out of my car and sneak my way to the back of her white, wooden house. I orientate myself near a back window and crouch down, facing the house. Her house is small enough that I should be able to hear what she says from here.

I take in my surroundings while I wait for her parents voices to break lose. There's a subtle smell of salt and looking to my right I'm able to see a small wooden dock on the water channel. There's a tiny boat down there and I wonder if it even works, judging by the state it's in. I forgot how much was affected by the hurricane.

"Aurelia Citrus! How dare you walk through this door at this hour in the morning! I was up all night worried sick. You didn't even call." A woman, presumably her mother screeches. But what I catch first is that Citrus is this girls last name. She didn't exactly lie after all, though I like Aurelia better. My little Lia. I have the perfect nickname for her, finally.

"You're really gonna stand there and act like it's not a normal teenage girl thing to do? I was out on a Saturday night, like you probably were at my age. Why do you care so much? You're not my mother, nor are you my legal guardian, so stop acting like it!" Lia yells and I furrow my brows with this new knowledge.

"Don't you walk away from me! This is reality hun, wake up! You need to focus on school, not high school boys and parties. What has gotten into you?"

I place my fingers on the window ledge and peak in to get a look at the disaster downplaying. There is a woman with dark hair, with her arms on her hips and I can recognize her from anywhere. That's Kiara's mom. Why is she here?

"What? Are you so scared I'm gonna turn up pregnant, like my mother did?"

"The apple never falls far from the tree Aurelia!"

"You are unbelievable! I was out for one night and you think it has to do with a boy?"

"Keep acting like a brat and I'll have you shipped off to boarding school! Mock my words." Kiara's mother threatens. Then a door slams and the house falls silent.

It doesn't seem these two are going to be on talking terms anytime soon which is a huge relief. Now that everything is going according to plan, I feel a relief to leave her here today. I'm starving and have crap to do.

Tomorrow is another day though. Tomorrow is school for her and I'll make sure she doesn't get the chance to talk to any of her friends. I need to find out who she may trust with our secret, before she gets the chance to tell them anything.

Tomorrow I'll take her to a place I haven't visited in a while and I'll scare her out of the idea long before she see's her friends again. Tomorrow we'll take a little trip together to an abandoned hotel.