Chapter 13 - Rafe

I almost pull all my hair out once I get home. It's around two in the morning when I stumble through my bedroom door, collapsing on my bed covers. Fatigue consumes me, though my brain is stuck in over drive, keeping me from slipping into unconsciousness. My head spins at the possibilities of how tonight could have turned out.

My head also spins due to the fact I raided my fathers liquor cabinet the second I got home. The alcohol burns my stomach, warming me up after such a cold, wet ride around the island.

I could only last so long without a real drink. At the party I restrained my fix for a while in an attempt to keep myself under control while around Lia. But seeing her in that tiny dress drove me off the wall anyway. No hard drinks needed. Every guy had his eyes on her tonight and she didn't even notice. Fucking Logan was the last straw for me. I wanted him dead. Without any substances, I was able to get myself under control and refrain from fulfilling those ideas. But the stress of how the night ended led me here, empty bottle in hand.

What was I thinking almost kissing her like that? A fucking Pogue. The temptation to take her lips was there. I don't know whats come over me recently. When I'm around her all my senses come to life. The scent of her hair, the smoothness of her skin, the sound of her laugh, looking into those eyes, the last sense I haven't fulfilled is taste. I wanna pull that full bottom lip into my mouth and suck on it. Bite on it. I crave more of her.

Ever since I met her, she's the only thing that's been running through my mind. Those mint green eyes corrupt all sane thoughts. When she looks at me I feel as though she's staring into the deepest darkest parts of me. She's seeing too much. What if I take her with me to the island? Start over with my family elsewhere. It's not like she has anyone here holding her back.

All plans come to a halt when I hear a knock at my door.

"Son, we need to talk." I sit up as my father steps into the room.

He crosses his arms over his chest and leans against my cupboard. I can see the strain in his eyes from lack of sleep.

He breathes out, "Rafe, where have you been?"

"It's Halloween Dad, can I not relax for a bit?" I slur.

"While I've been up every night trying to find out where your sister could be, where have you been? What's gotten into you?" He scratches his hand over his beard.

"Listen, it was one party. I needed a break."

"A break?" He laughs bitterly. "No, you listen to me, it's time you grow up Rafe! You promised me you'd find Sarah and you're out throwing parties?! Whoever is distracting you, I want them cut off. You hear me? You need to keep your head in the game and focus your eye on the prize."

Shit. He's right. I've been so busy thinking about a dumb girl, I'd forgotten about my promise. Sarah is still out there, and the longer we sit here, the closer we come to people finding out my dad is still alive.

"Yes Sir." I muster up, "It won't happen again."

He nods at me before turning to leave. Though I saw that look in his eyes. He's not convinced by my word. He never takes my word in anything, it doesn't matter how many times I prove myself to him.

Grabbing my phone, I send a text to the stupid green eyed girl who got me in this mess.

I send her my address and inform her that we need to talk tomorrow.

♤♤♤♤

I stand by the windowsill in my living room, looking out into the dark sky. Heavy grey clouds hang over, promising more rain. It's been gloomy since last night. Not an ounce of sunshine to lighten up the mood. The weather seems to reflect my frame of mind. It's the quiet before the storm.