Chapter 12 - Lia

The winds sweeps Rafes hair all over the place, since I'm wearing his helmet. This is my first time riding a motorcycle and I feel a combination of exhilaration and fear, but mostly relaxation. The warmth of Rafes body seeps into me. I tighten my legs around his hips and let go of his waist with my arm, throwing my hands in the air. The pressure of the icy wind against my skin pulses electricity through me. I feel so alive.

I yell, letting out a hoot of joy. Smiling with full teeth. The cold air starts to sober me up, the longer we ride. I'm not sure where we're going, but frankly, I don't care.

I wrap my arms back around Rafes warm torso and lay the side of my head against his back. The lights tonight are out of this world. All sorts of colours light up every street corner. I feel like I'm in a movie. The sidewalks are littered with Halloween decorations. We've past pumpkin after pumpkin, so many I've lost count. I love that about the Outerbanks, they don't fail to celebrate the holidays.

Rafe slows down as we come up to a parking lot by the beach.

"What? Are you gonna dump my body in the ocean? Bury me in the sand? You're slacking Rafe." I snort, then cover my mouth. Did I really just say that out loud?

"Don't give me any ideas." Rafe retorts.

He still hasn't cut the engine and we're heading straight for the path that leads to the beach.

"Are you even allowed to ride your bike on the beach?"

"It's dark out. Who's gonna know?" I can just imagine the cocky grin on his face. I roll my eyes. Guess we'll find out.

We ride down the beach on the harder sand close to the waves. The smell of the ocean finds its way into my helmet and I inhale it in. I love everything about the sea, the sound of the waves crashing onto the shoreline; the texture of sand beneath my feet; the smell of salt; hearing seagulls cry out; and most of all, watching the sun hit the horizon. My mother used to tell me the sun was being swallowed by the dark waters and would get spat back out in the morning. 

Rafe comes to a stop, kicking his leg-stand down. Removing my helmet first, I then swing my leg back, hopping off. Rafe follows after. Lucky for him, his legs reach the ground while still sitting on the bike. My shorter legs? Not so much. 

We untie our shoes before strolling down the shoreline in silence. I kick the incoming water with my feet, making it splash. Dark clouds are starting to roll in, hiding the beautiful stars that twinkle back at me. The cool breeze sweeps my hair back and I'm grateful for my thick jacket. 

I halt in my tracks, turning around to face Rafe. He's a few feet behind me. All he has on is his white button up shirt, he must be freezing. His quiet steps carry him closer to meet my analytical gaze.

"Where did you go during the party?" I inquire.

He looks down at me in an intrigued, yet cautious manner.

"Logan's a friend of Barry," He rolls his eyes "just some... some guy who would hang around my old drug dealers place. I told him to stay away from you, alright? I don't like him being around you, it makes me feel weird." 

"Explain the bloody nose." I order.

"Well... he then came for my family. Called us murderers and I lost it."

"Lost it how? What did you do to him?" my voice comes out hoarse.

"I dragged his ass outside to the parking lot and beat him senseless. I did not kill him." He states the last part with a stern tone and I believe him. "I was protecting my family and... and... I was protecting you."

"Me?" I inquire.

"I don't know." he huffs, "Something just... came over me."

Rafe turns around, running his hand through his hair, like he cant look at me. The first droplets of rain start to fall down. One lands on my cheek and another on my chest. It trickles down to my breasts and my nipples harden. 

"It's starting to rain, we should go." He states.

"Afraid of a little rain?" I jinx myself, because once I finish my sentence, a strong wind tousles my hair everywhere and rain starts to pour down in buckets. 

Rafes white shirt turns see through and presses against his broad muscles. His hair falls into his eyes and I can't help, but admire how sexy he looks. Has he always looked so good? Maybe the weather is making me sick. Rafe Cameron is a murderer. I hate him. I'm most certainly not attracted to him. 

He laughs at me, "It's freezing."

"Oh how un-chivalrous of me. Would you like to borrow my jacket Ma'am." I joke.

"Shut your mouth." he warned, with a smirk on his face.

I tilt my head back to the sky, the rain patters against my face and a smile curls my lips. I bring my fingers up to my wet cheeks. 

"It feels like what I imagine a kiss to feel like." I murmur.

"What?" He looks at me quizzically. 

"The rain. I imagine the sensation is close to what a kiss feels like." Saying the words out loud makes me realise how ridiculous I must sound. I shake my head. 

"Are you asking me to kiss you Aurelia?"

I pretend to gag, in repulse to the idea. 

"You wish." I mock his words from earlier tonight. 

He strides closer to me and my heart skips a beat. His hand raises to my chin and his thumb roughly glides over my bottom lip. I see hunger wash over his eyes. I mixture of fear and eagerness floods through me. Like riding the motorcycle but multiplied by ten. My skin aches at his touch and I find my feet lifting to my toes in eagerness.

Clearing my throat, "We should get going." I mumble.

He pulls his hand back to his side and silence coats the air. 

"Yeah... yeah we should." His voice comes out hoarse.