Chapter 6 - Lia

We really spent the night in jail for a ten minute long interrogation. Not that I'm complaining, at least I didn't have to sit there for an hour putting shame on my name as I give nasty details about what Rafe and I were getting up to. It's just, couldn't they have done this last night? I could have been out of Rafe Camerons perimeter in no time, not to mention I wouldn't have to deal with the bull I just know is waiting at home for me. I wish she would just zero in her attention on her actual daughter, not waste her weekends baby sitting me. I spend most nights alone anyway, I'm eighteen, I can live without her checkups. Even now for example, the woman will have no clue I was sleeping on the icy floor of a police station, because I'm no longer a minor. My age has it's perks. If she wants an update, there are cellphones for a reason.

That brings me to where I am now. I'm picking up my phone and other belongings the guard took from me, before throwing me like a rag-doll into a cell. Not to mention, with Mr. Cuckoo for a whole night!

I learnt that we weren't locked up here for the body, no one even mentioned it. It turns out the area is being monitored, since the church got vandalized. They presumed we were some reckless kids coming back to wreck the place some more. Now that I think about it, Kiara and her friends went there not too long ago, but she isn't notorious for breaking things? Either way, it's a huge relief to be out of there. I thought my time there was just getting started.

"Come on, you two. I'll give you a ride back to your cars." Sheriff Shoupe offers and we both follow.

Yesterday he had us at gun point and today he wears a smile. Am I missing something? Maybe the system really is rigged and Rafe paid him off like he said he would. It would explain the sudden change in his manner. People will do anything for that coin these days. Is it possible he genuinely didn't see the body and is just happy to see us go? I'd like to think so, it was dark out after all.

*****

It's not too long of a ride back to our cars and I'm thankful that there's no body floating around in sight. I don't bother looking at Rafe again, the last few hours were enough torture.

"I guess the gators ended up getting there dinner last night." Rafe muses.

I ignore him, rolling my eyes at his sick joke as I make my way back to my car. I go to search for my keys in the ziplock bag filled with all my belonging they took from me back at the station, but come up dry.

"Where the hell are my keys?" I shriek, "No, no, no." I mumble as I rummage through my pockets as well. I then search the ground for where I might have dropped it. Rafe just stands watching me. Not even bothering to help look.

I look up at him and see amusement playing in his eyes. Folding my arms over my chest, I give him a pointed stare.

"You're not actually accusing me of taking your keys?" he slap his hand over his heart.

"I didn't say anything."

"You don't need to, I can see it in your eyes."

I throw my head back groaning and spin around, making my way back to my car. The car belonged to my mother and that key chain is one of the most sentimental things I own.

I climb into my car check the first place I should have looked, because there they are, sitting right in the ignition. A wave of relief washes over me and I strap my seatbelt on. I then reach out to turn the key and the car doesn't start. Shit. I left my car on last night, the battery is dead. I can't call anyone, because then I'll have to explain why my car is dead and how I was in a police station the whole night. Just as I come to the realization, Rafe is pulling out, about to drive away. I throw my door open in his way and he slams on his breaks. I climb out of the car and stand in front of his. He throws his hands up, clearly frustrated, then rolls his window down.

"What? What the fuck do you want?" He huffs.

"Can you jump start my car? I left it on last night and the battery is dead." I ask politely, the way I was always taught.

"No." He states and begins to role his window back up.

I stomp over to his door and yank it open. I can just see the steam coming out of my ears.

"Let me rephrase. You're gonna get your lazy ass out of your car and help me! Because of you I had to carry a dead mans body, get a gun pointed at me, spend the night on a freezing concrete floor of a holding cell and wake up with the worst pain in my neck. Not to mention hold back vomit while I explain to a stranger how I'm a dirty girl who was meeting up in the middle of nowhere to sleep with your psycho self. On top of that my car has run flat, again, this is  all because of you!"

His blue eyes turn cold as he slides out of his seat and gets in my face. I honestly forgot how scary tall this man is and have to crane my already sore neck to look up at him. What were you thinking Aurelia? You had your chance to live. Do you have a death wish?

"Welcome to the real world Princess. I don't owe you shit." He spits the words at my face.

"I told you to stop calling me that." I retort.

He takes a step forward, shoving me backwards, and continues to do so till my back is up against the back door of my car.

"Let's get one thing straight." I don't like how close he is to me. I also don't like how heated I just got between my thighs by his sudden movements. Am I sick in the head? The guy wants to slit my throat, not throw me in the back seat. So why am I turned on?

I avert my gaze to the side looking for an exit, but he just cages me in with his arms against the car door frame.

"You don't run this show and you certainly don't get to talk down to me when I could snap you in half right now if I wanted to. I'm a proactive type person. I am in control and I think ahead. That is why we were able to get out of this mess in the first place." I look back into his eyes. "You...You should be thanking me." he stutters.

"Thanking you?!" I laugh, "You really have lost your mind. Get out of my face, I'll ask someone else for hel-"

I didn't even get to finish my sentence before his hand wrapped around my neck. He lowers his head and I try to move my head away, but his grip just tightens, restricting me. It's as if he's showing me just how easy it is to take control of me. He presses his body against mine to restrict my legs from kicking him, like I did last time. I can feel his bulge against my lower stomach and I hold my breath for a second before realizing that's a bad idea and gasp for breath. I should be grateful for the air I have while it lasts.

"I'm warning you, stay out of my way. I won't give you another chance." he advises.

I swallow at his words. Why am I letting myself appear weak to him? I just know he's eating this up as it feeds his ego. I harden my gaze, losing all sense of fear in my eyes, before rolling them.

"I'm bored. Are you gonna jump start my car or what? The sooner you do so, the sooner we can get as far away from each other as possible."

I expect him to kill me then, but he just looks puzzled by my reaction and releases my neck.

"You're lucky I have jump leads in the back." He goes to open the trunk of his car.

I slowly let out a deep breath through my nose and my body relaxes. I then plaster the fakest of grins on my face. 

"Perfect." I say lightly, while my left eye twitches with annoyance.