Chapter 4

Season 1: Episode 4

"And so, this brother comes across the yard

"And so, this brother comes across the yard. He's all skeezed out on crystal or something. And he says, he says, "chicken pot pie." Like I'm supposed to know what that is, right? So, my boy looks at him, points back at the block and he says, "that way." Did not matter what this cat was on. He just doubles back to where he came from lickety-split, you know what I'm saying?" Justin says at the table while Hank, Erin and I keep making eye contact.

I slowly pick at my food as my mind drifts back to the conversation I had with Jay the other night but was broke out of my thoughts when Hank speaks up "Hey, J, listen, I got some news. Um... I had to pull some strings, but I got you in at the CTA."

Justin looks between Erin and Hank then to me before he looks back to Hank "That's where... that's where city workers send their loser relatives."

"It's a job. And it'll help you get back on your feet." Erin says before taking a bite of her steak.

"You know you sound more and more like him every day, right?" Justin says looking to Erin.

"You start Monday." Hank says as Justin looks to me for help but for the first time, I can't help him, so I look down at my food.

Justin scoffs "Okay, pop, sure."

Hanks phone buzzes "Excuse me, I gotta take this. Hello?" He said as he walked away.

Erin and I glance at each other when Justin speaks up "Strange how things worked out, huh?"

"How's that?" Erin says.

"When we took you both in, you were the problem, and she was the emotional mess. And now you're the golden girl, she's the perfect daughter and I'm the prodigal son." He says making me blink back tears as his words hurt me.

Erin looks to me then glares at Justin "Well, here we are, Justin. And now you have a second chance, so don't piss on it. But don't you ever speak about my sister that way, are we clear?"

Before Justin can respond Hank walks over "We gotta roll. I'm sorry, kid."

"Lys I'm sorry." Justin says as Erin grabs my hand pulling me with her out of the restaurant and into the car.

We sat silently in the car as Erin knows better than to try and talk to me now. When we got to the location Erin told me to stay in the car, she got out and walked over to Hank. I knew she was telling Hank that it was best to stay where I was, I could see the conflicted-on Hank's face when we connected eyes. I nodded letting him know I was ok, and he nodded in response back. I sat there patiently picking at my nails until I heard the gunshot making me rush out of the car and up to the house trying to see if Hank or Erin were injured.

Once I knew Erin and Hank were ok when I entered the house, I looked for Jay and felt relief once I knew he was ok. I rushed to his side checking him over, causing Antonio to scoff and walk away.