03. Chapter 2

*1 month later*

School was finally let out, and pretty much everyday night of summer break was the same for Parklynn and her friends. Daily at 6 o'clock they would go out on the boat to catch a sunset. The group would run into the Pogues every now and then, but never did Parklynn and JJ share another moment. The girl glanced at the blonde whenever they would pass the group, maybe even for a little bit too long. But she never caught him staring back. Parklynn didn't think much of it, but she did find herself denying the small feeling of disappointment she would get whenever the two crossed paths without any interaction.

It was something about him.

But for now, Parklynn was sitting on the docks with her legs dangling off the side. She watched as Sarah swat away at birds in her backyard. Yes, you heard that right. There was a massive storm that trashed the whole island the day before, and here Sarah was trying to save the washed up mice from getting eaten by the birds.

"Dad the WIFI's not working, I can't post anything!" Sarahs little sister, Wheezie complains.

Parklynn laughs at the girls comment as Sarah yells, "The birds are having a field day!"

"Birds have to eat too Sarah," Parklynn says.

"It's the cycle of life honey," Ward, Sarah's father chimed in. He had a older woman with him who looked in distress.

Parklynn watches Ward introduce Sarah to the woman as Rafe walks over to her.

"Morning P,'" he says.

"Morning".

"What are you guys up to?"

"Oh nothing, Sarah's just chasing birds and I'm watching."

Rafe laughs at her comment, "Sounds like fun."

He sits down next the the girl and dangles his legs off the side as well.

"How's you're family holding up with the hurricane?" Rafe asks.

Parklynn looks over at her house next to the Cameron's. There's a tree down in the backyard, just barely hitting the Gray's outdoor furniture. Her father was fishing tree branches out of their pool and some neighbors helped him pick up trash and debris that blew all over the grass. She laughed at her dads silly attempt to drag out a huge stick from the water, almost causing him to fall in.

"Well other than a few trees down and some branches, nothing too harsh," she replies.

"Good I'm glad, if you're dad needs any help just let me know."

"Kiss up," she whispers.

"What did you just say?" Rafe questions chuckling.

"I said that you're a kiss up!"

Rafe stands and picks the girl up, putting her over his shoulder. She's laughing her head off as she flips upside down.

JJ watched the two from far in the distance. Him and John B were riding around the Island to see the damage Agatha brought, and they just happened to pass the Cameron's.

"Those Kooks," John B says.

JJ plays off the slight feeling of jealousy. The girl was pretty, and he thought they had a bit of a moment a few weeks ago on the boat. Maybe he was just over thinking things. She was a kook after all.

"Life must be pretty hard with those generators," he addresses the noisy machine as he pushes the thoughts of Parklynn out of his mind.

Back on the dock, Rafe still has the girl flipped upside down.

"I'm not a kiss up Parklynn!" Rafe laughs.

"Yes.. You.. Are," Parklynn says in between giggles.

"Take it back or I'm not putting you down."

"Just admit it!"

"I'm not!"

It was true, maybe he was a bit of a kiss up, but Rafe and her father, for sure, had a good relationship. They were neighbors and the two grew up together, it was easy. Ward was also great friends with her dad. I guess it was a neighborly thing.

Rafe finally puts her down as Sarah runs over to them. "Sup losers, we playing UFC or something?"

"No, Rafe's just being a jerk," Park says.

Before Rafe could fire back an answer, Parklynn gets a call from her dad. She smiles a victorious grin at Rafe as she picks up the phone.

"Hello... Oh yeah... Okay I'm coming..."

The phone hangs up and she puts it in her back pocket.

"Gotta split guys, dad wants me to come help with the clean up."

She starts to walk away as Sarah speaks up, "Hey wait up, there's a kegger tonight down at the boneyard, y'all in?"

"Hell yes!" Park jumps up in down, always in the mood for a party.

"Sounds good, pick you up at 7 P?" Rafe asks.

"Awesome, see ya!"

Park says bye to Mr. Cameron on her way out and begins the short walk home. Out the back gate of the Cameron's and to the left is where she lived. It was a beautiful 3 story house, like a castle. It had two cylinder staircase towers on both sides of the front door, all made of stone and finished off at the top with a cone shaped roof. It had a beautiful porch area above, connecting the two. Diagonally from the right tower was a two car garage. The house went back an estimated 75 feet, with well manicured grass, bushes, flowers, and more throughout the yard. The driveway was a nicely paved cul de sac with the family cars parked on both sides.

Very Kook if you ask anyone.

But it didn't matter to Parklynn. She never bragged about it, she actually was kind of embarrassed at the amount of money her family had. Yeah it was nice at times, but there were so many other people on the island, let alone the rest of the world, that needed the money much more than she did. She felt it was almost unfair.

She walked through the castle doors looking for her dad. She found him sitting outside on the back porch, still cleaning up sticks.

"Hey dad, need some help?"

He smiled at his daughter and nodded, giving her a garbage bag.

"I need all the help I could get," Mr. Gray states.

Park smiles as she begins her cleanup.

A few hours later the yard is looking ten times better than it did before, other than the tree that was still down. That was a project for another day, and another person.

But for now, it was time to get ready for the Boneyard.