05. Chapter 4

*1 hour later*

The night was going great aside from the what Rafe and Topper had said earlier. Parklynn tried her best to just forget about it, but something in her heart felt guilty of not defending JJ. She didn't even know the guy, but she honestly felt bad for what the two were saying about him and his friends. She couldn't help but wonder, if they said those horrible things about JJ, what do they say about her when she's not around?

The thought killed her.

She told herself she was just overthinking and promised herself a good rest of the night.

She was with Sarah and Topper by the beach, 3rd wheeling of course. She hadn't seen Rafe in a bit as he told her he was going to say goodbye to some friends before they left. The night was still young, but the group decided to head back soon to pick up some dinner.

It had gotten dark out about thirty minutes ago and the only light supplied was the big bright full moon and a few lanterns hanging off fallen trees. Parklynn was staring out at the water, mesmerized at the moon's brilliancy. The way it looked over the waves crashing was truly beautiful. It was about halfway until it was right above her. She studied it's craters and the clouds around it. It looked a little spooky to be honest.

She had thought Sarah and Topper were next to her, but she soon realized she was staring off into space all alone. She looking around, the slightest bit embarrassed and walked closer to the party to find her friends. She weaved in between groups of teenagers talking and spilling beer everywhere, until she finally found a familiar voice.

"No, we were just leaving", Sarah says.

Parklynn follows the voice that came from the right of her.

"Sarah I've been looking everywhere for you!" Parklynn says.

She walks up behind Sarah and realizes the group she had just walked into. Yes she found Sarah and Topper, but along with them came the two Pogues Rafe had slandered an hour earlier. John B and JJ stood facing her.

JJ smiled slightly at the girl before focused his gaze back on Topper.

"You know what, I'll take it," Topper says.

Parklynn is confused at first as to what he would take. But she looks at the blonde and realized he had a red solo cup in his hand, holding it out to Sarah.

"Thank you man, I appreciate it," Topper tells him.

JJ responds, "That's nice, but I didn't ask you."

Parklynn could feel the tension between the group. She looks over at Sarah and the worried look on her face shows she can feel it too. Her gaze wonders to John B who's expression is telling JJ to back off and leave it.

"If you said pretty please maybe, but ya didn't."

"Oh, pretty please?" Topper asks.

JJ disregards the Kook and turns over to Parklynn. Her heart drops at the unexpected action.

"No no, Parklynn you can have it."

Before the girl could even answer, the beer was swatted out of JJ's hand by Topper. The bear soaked him and without even a second to react to what had happened, JJ's hands were on Topper, shoving him. John B immediately tried to break it up as Topper pushed the boy back.

"No, no no no no", John B tells JJ.

Sarah tries to drag Topper away from the Trouble and John B does the same with JJ. Parklynn's heart was beating and she thought they were in the clear, but she was wrong. If Topper had just walked away everything would have been different, but instead he yells "Dirty Pogues!"