07. Chapter 6

JJ ran after the girl on the beach, not quite sure what she was doing considering she had no idea how to ride a surfboard.

"Parklynn do you even know how to pop up?" He yelled to the girl as he joined her in the water.

"No, but practice makes perfect right? It can't be that hard, it's just like boogie boarding," she responds.

JJ makes a thinking face and says, "it's a bit more complicated then that, but hey, knock yourself out."

Obviously Park has seen people do this before, so she had a bit of an idea of what to do. She was a pretty natural learner at most things, and she picked up on how to do things quickly. She was hoping that would be true for surfing too.

The two make their way farther out in the ocean. Whenever a wave came over them Parklynn scrunched her face up and turned away, not wanting to get water in her eyes. JJ finds this hilarious and laughs at her as the waves come along.

"I think this is a good spot," JJ explains, "you should probably watch how it's done before you try it."

"Nope, I'm good," and with that, she spots a wave and attempts to ride it, turning her board around and paddling as fast as she could.

JJ was surprised at her answer, and watched as she tried her best to ride the wave. The wave carried her for a bit and just as it began to crash she attempted to pop up, putting her arms on the side and bringing her legs through. She succeeded in getting up for a second, but she lost her balance and tumbled down to the left.

JJ waited for her to pop up and say he told her so, but he couldn't spot her. Starting to get worried he paddled closer to the shore, his head on a swivel. She was no where to be found.

At this point JJ was in full freak out mode. He was paddling everywhere on his board, trying to see over the waves.

In relief, he sees a blonde head pop out of the water next to him. He watches her as she flips her hair out of her face and wipes the water out of her eyes.

"That was awesome!" the girl yells.

A laugh tugs at JJ's face as his worried look fades away. The two break out in laughter as JJ says, "you're crazy! You completely just wiped out."

"That was the fun part! Come on let's go again."

The blondes headed back out farther and farther into the ocean, Parklynn getting a bit more used to the waves and water. JJ was teaching her all about surfing etiquette, where to put your hands, perfecting your stance, and telling her all about that crazy string attached to the board that is supposed to be attached to your ankle or wrist.

To be honest, everything he was saying went through one of the girls ears' and out the other. For purely two reasons and two reasons only. Majorly because when being around a guy, especially JJ, shirtless and with wet hair, it's very hard to focus. But also just because she was too anxious to get back out there and try again.

The second attempted wave was much worse than the first one. It was clear her first try was just a fluke as the next couple rounds she couldn't even get the wave to carry her.

She was getting a bit annoyed, but mostly just having fun.

The two continue surfing throughout the day. Sometimes taking stops to just free swim for a bit and get a break from the boards.

Parklynn watched JJ ride the waves so effortlessly, she was almost jealous. She wanted to be able to do that. He made it look so easy. She kept insisting that "this time" she would ride the wave perfectly all the way to the shore. Which never happened, but each time she said it, it brought a smile to JJ's face, and that was enough for her. The girl found herself trying to make JJ laugh because seeing him smile made her happy.