Ceremony

(Quick message. This is just a cute idea I had, there is 4530 words not including this message. So I will greatly appreciate it if anyone wants to correct any spelling mistakes or messy sentences! The use of fox/wolf father, or father wolf/fox is based off of Maya's interaction with storybooks as a child using those phrases! Please enjoy! For now it'll be one chapter, but the excerpt in the description is proof of my plans to atleast write a second! Thank you!)

"Darling, tomorrow we visit the Zillard Kingdom. The people will see us off. I don't think you'll be returning with me" came the dull tone of my father's voice. I know I continuously ask to leave the temple, but this seemed overboard.

I looked up from my book and tilted my head, my father stood anxiously in the doorway, tears in his eyes. I've never seen him cry before.

I put the book down, slowly his words dawning on me, why am I going to a kingdom of hunters? When I can remain in the land of peace?

"Dad? What's going on?" I asked, nervous now, my heartbeat picking up as I sensed danger, yet couldn't see any danger. His brown eyes looking anywhere that wasn't me.

"You'll be given your clothes tonight, the servants will ensure you look suitable" choked out my father, quickly rushing from the room. I gaped at the doorway, his long grey hair flowing behind him.

I rushed to my feet as the world swirls around me, I glanced anxiously around, not knowing why this was suddenly dropped on me.

Why am I going to the predators?!

What's going on? Why is father crying?

I ran out and made a dash for my mother's room, crashing past a servant carrying what must be my lunch.

"Miss Maya!" Gasped the servant, I spun on my heel and examined the surprised goat shifter.

"I'm sorry, I have to see my mother" I gasped, hoping to shift beside her. Wishing that she could have a human form to hug me.

I will never birth children, cursed to remain forever shifted feels like a horrid way to live. My mother is always so sad that she can't hug me.

"The empress is with the emperor, they don't want to be disturbed" mumbled the servant, seeing how anxious I looked.

"Now let's get you back in your room, we have a lot to prepare you for. Your self defence and dance lessons are no longer happening. Please Miss Maya, let's return to your room" he said, his tone soft and sympathetic. His almost black eyes watched me carefully, his fluffy white hair curly on his head.

"But, my mother?" I whispered, not wanting to be left nervous and confused on why my father is upset and a sudden trip to a predator kingdom was being dropped on me.

"You'll see her tomorrow Miss Maya" assured the servant, I slowly nodded and shuffled back to my room as more people began to enter.

Chaos.

One moment I was being measured for my clothes and the next I was eating food, I didn't get a chance to think as people rushed around me for hours, sending me for a quick bath. Brushing my hair as I brushed my teeth.

They laid out a suit for me, it was the colour of my fur, white with grey stripes expertly printed to it to make it look nice. The pants were grey like my hind legs in cat form.

My hair was heavily plated so that I could sleep with it and it'd still look good.

"You seem dazed Miss Maya, are you ok?" Asked the first servant I'd seen, he seemed genuinely concerned, I shook my head.

"What's going on? I haven't had a chance to catch my breath!" I exclaimed, looking into the deep and sympathetic eyes of the servant.

"You don't know? Miss Maya, has noone ever told you why you were born?" Asked the servant, his eyes wide with concern.