Knights

I sighed and moved along with him, looking up at where the beetle had landed, it'd scurried off ages ago. We moved through the castle and entered a large dining hall, Chloe and Kendall already seated.

Both remained silent, Kendall giving me a brief scowl and Chloe looking down at her hands. Danny sat me beside him in a chair which I feel tiny in.

I just want to sit away from him. Yet I can't say so, I don't want to make him mad with me.

It's quiet as we eat, the potatoes soft and easy to chew. The food looks nice as always, carrots and potatoes cut into cubes, some pieces of pork placed neatly beside it.

"I hate this" scoffed Kendall, I glanced up and watched him shove his chair back and storm out.

"Um, Maya. I'm really sorry for upsetting you before. I really didn't know that cat's were smart, it's just the-" began Chloe, she looks pitiful, guilt and sadness in her eyes.

"No need to apologise to her Chloe, it was just a misunderstanding" interrupted Danny. I looked at Chloe and smiled slightly.

"Thank you Chloe" I said, keeping my voice slightly louder, making my point. He can't think I don't deserve an apology for that misunderstanding, it hurt.

"You're a real good kitten" sighed Chloe, smiling at me and glancing at Danny.

"Of course she is, she's mine" chuckled Danny, Chloe rolled her eyes and made an 'L' with her fingers before running out laughing. "Hey! Chloe! I'll show you a real loser!" Shouted Danny, laughing as well.

I don't understand. It must be an inside joke.

"Let's get you to bed, we will be busy tomorrow" he explained, I huffed and crossed my arms, knowing I'm going to be locked up again.

"Why?" I asked, my voice quiet despite my inner nervousness and frustration.

"Because, my knights are excited to meet you, I told you this" he stated, I lowered my head and slowly stood. I know that, I wanted to know why this is happening.

I can word it better, yet my mouth isn't cooperating.

I can only follow him, stressed and worried about what's to come. I have no clue why I'm here, other then Bea telling me that I need to...

"Do you need to go toilet?" He asked, I shake my head and step into the room, listening to the door close and lock.

The bed invited me softly and I lay down, trying to remember everything Bea had said.

'Sacrifice', that's right, I'm a sacrifice. The realisation shaking me, I had hardly noticed the words she'd used, now I wish I'd listened better in my fear.

It's my responsibility to be a sacrifice. The last was murdered, what kind of sacrifice am I? Am I sacrificed into slavery? It makes no sense.

Closing my eyes, I tried to force myself to sleep. There's no point anymore, if I run I'll be hunted, I might not even be able to go home as he'll look there.

Mum. I miss you.

"Miss Maya, here's your food" whispered a voice, waking me up, by the way the girl spoke, I guess last time her words didn't wake me.

My sleep was horrible and fitfull, filled to the brim with smashed bugs and people trying to turn me into a cat forever.

I watched the servant leave quietly, my food waiting on the drawers.

With a tired grunt, I sat up and stretched. I'll eat before he comes in.

With an empty plate and empty glass of water, I wait for him, knowing he's coming. I can only watch the door open, Danny's surprised face.