Pampered

I opened my eyes to the pleasant feeling of someone's fingers playing with my hair. I whined softly and rolled over, yawning widely. How long was I asleep?

I blinked my eyes and concentrated on a blurry shape, my vision returning quickly. I stared in surprise at Danny. He was giving me a warm smile, yet my body still froze and shivered. The memories flooding back.

I whimpered weakly and moved away, his hand leaving my hair as he examined me.

"Still scared then?" He asked, losing his smile and sighing to his feet. "To be expected really, the vet saw to your feet, they should heal up quickly. Honestly surprised there was no other damage, you did take quite a fall when you fell down" he explained.

"The vet came?" I asked quietly, horrified that I'd slept through a whole vet visit, who knows what else I could have slept through. He was nodding and examining a tray on the drawers.

"She did. She asked so many questions. She seemed happy to see you healthy" He explained, returning his gaze to me. He'd tightened his jaw, his eyes examining my every move.

"Nothing else happened?" I questioned quietly, remembering how eerily silent he was carrying me back. How he smiled and cleaned me. He said I was his pet. What does that mean for me?

"No, I left to have another chat with the knights, your room was locked from outsiders. If you're feeling up to it, I feel I need to explain some things" he explained. I nodded, still unsure if I should be worried. The vet could have been told to do something to permanently make me a kitten.

I resisted the urge to feel around for a closed wound that could open as soon as I shifted. That would make me look crazy, if he wants me in kitten form, he just needs to scare me again. I moved away further at that.

"What do you want to explain?" I asked, startled by how nervous and scared I sounded. I just want to go home and be safe.

"Explain the situation you're in. I feel you'll be a bit more understanding of why I've been expecting behaviours from you" he explained. I lowered my head, that would be lovely to know the reason. I slowly inched forwards, ready to learn, I want to do what's best.

He smiled as I examined him, searching for any sign that he'll trick me. After what happened when I ran, I know how bad his anger can be now. That yelling and smashing of wood, begging and pleading with him, he could have-

"Let's go to the library" spoke Danny, his voice louder, as if he wanted to snap me from my thoughts. I looked at him and pressed my bandaged feet to the floor. It hurt but not as bad as I had expected.

He led me as I slightly limped down into a large room, this was very different to the one we studied in. Bookshelves reached to the roof and a railing made a second floor. It was decorated with carvings of wolves, foxes and many more animals.

He pulled up a book I recognised, it was like my one at home, except this one seemed to not have pages ripped out. Father had just said it was old and the pages had been ruined by water. As dread filled my heart, I realised he'd lied. Why else would Danny be looking through it?

I sat beside him on the leather couch, sinking into it's softness. There's alot of books in this castle.

"So, this is a touchy subject but a long time ago, after the witch turned humans into animals, people got very into new religions, and cultures. One thing people began to agree on was that dogs and cats were not true, like just man made, and with the very back to the animal roots, religions and cultures, began to start a cull" he explained. I glanced at the hand drawn pictures of fields of dead, cats, and dogs, the pictures horrifying.