Costochrondritis

(Just so you guys know, Costochrondritis is another word for 'chest wall pain')

Costochrondritis/ Chest Wall Pain- The inflammation of the cartilage that connects the rib to the breastbone.

???'s POV

Today was the day of the sports festival, and I was really looking forward to it. People from all over the country were gonna be watching as us students try our best to win. I wasn't really there to win, in fact, I don't know what my goal was. All I know is that I was gonna try my best. I fixed up my hair so I didn't look like the hot mess it already is, and quickly got ready.

"Hey kid! Come down and eat!" I heard a voice call from downstairs.

"Give me a sec, just need to find my bag!" I shouted back. I heard a chuckle and shuffling.

"It's down here already, just come down!" she replied. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand and went downstairs. I was greeted by a nice plate of fluffy pancakes and a cup of apple juice.

"Good morning, Kai. Ready for the sports festival?" my guardian asked. I nodded my head and started eating.

"Have you been taking care of those scars properly?" she asked. I nodded my head as a response. I couldn't speak because my mouth was stuffed. I'm was finally able to swallow all of it after, what, a whole minute?

"Mirko, do you think my mom won't find me?" I asked her. She looked up from her meal to me and stared into my eyes.

"I'm sure of it, and even if she somehow does find you I won't let her lay a hand on you." She replied. I smiled warmly and thanked her before going back to eating. There was a reason that I ran away from home, and it was all because of my mom. I would explain, but...something feels wrong. I stop eating for a quick second and try to calm this sharp feeling in my chest. Mirko could see that something was wrong. She put her fork down and got up to check on me.

"Woah, you okay, Kai? You sure you're not choking?" She asked. I nodded and tried to take some deep breaths...it didn't work. The pain only worsened. I clutched my chest as I hissed at the discomfort.

"I'll..find out what's wrong when I get to school. Don't worry about me too much, I'll get it checked out." I whined out. I grabbed my bag and headed out the door. On my way to the school, I started to feel the pain worsen, it was starting to feel like someone punched me in my chest. I was thankfully almost there, and I was greeted by a small familiar face.

"Kai! I was wondering where you we-...Hey, what's wrong? You're clutching your chest kinda hard. Is everything alright?" He asked.

"I'm fine, Min, just a little chest pain. I should probably get it checked out, huh?" I jokingly asked while hissing once more. He nodded and guided me in the school and to the nurse's office. I was met with an old lady with a big needle for a cane.

"This is Recovery Girl, she'll be able to figure out what's going on with you." Mineta said with a smile. I took another breath, which was a horrible idea because the pain, again, got worse.

"Why hello children, what brings you here?" She greeted walking up to us.

"Well, I've been feeling some really bad pain in my chest, and it seems to worsen every time I take a deep breath." I explained. She seemed to take in this information and set me down on a chair.

"Okay, I want you to try and cough for me. I wanna see if what I'm thinking is actually what's going on here." She instructed. I decided to give it a shot a coughed a few times, only for the pain to get to me once again. Recovery Girl seemed to notice this.

"Okay, so it appears you have a case of Costochrondritis. It's nothing major, maybe some strain on the muscles or trauma to the chest was the cause, but don't worry. It should clear up soon." She explained.

"How soon?" I asked. She started humming quietly.

"Maybe...3-5 weeks?" She answered. Uh......come again???

"I-WEEKS?! I thought this would clear up by the end of the day!" I exclaimed. Recovery Girl calmed me down and put her hand on my knee.

"That's what most people think, but sometimes some minor pains are the ones that take the longest to recover from." She explained. I sighed as I got up and asked her what to do. She said I could either take medicine or do some stretches as she was wrong a nurses pass for me. I decided to take the stretch option, as I thanked her as I too the note and walked to the door, until Recovery Girl stopped me.

"Hey, you forgot something." She said. I turned around to see her facial expression changed from happy to unamused. I was confused until Mineta explained it.

"In Japan, you bow slightly when saying thanks." He told me. My ears perked up as I bowed and again thanked Recovery Girl for her help. She looked confused.

"You didn't know that already? Didn't you parents ever teach you that?" She asked. I shook my head and explained to her that I was from England, and usually we don't bow when saying thanks. She seemed to understand and let me go.

"Thanks for the help, Min. Really appreciate it." I said to Mineta, flashing a big warm smile. He sent one right back.

"No problem, always happy to help a friend of mine." He replied. I chuckled slightly as we came up to his classroom.

"Well, this is your stop." I said opening the door. I was greeted by a tall man with long black hair and a scarf looking at me.

"Hello. Can I help you with anything?" He asked.

"Apologies for intruding, but I just had to deliver a package for you." I explained. I turned around and put my tail to the floor, so Mineta could hop off. I waved bye to him and closed the door. My class wasn't far, but I'm not jogging or nothing, so I just started speed walking to the door. I slid it open and quickly apologized.

"Sorry for being late, I had to do a quick check-in with the nurse." I said handing my teacher the note. He read it over and instructed me to take a seat, and also to take it easy. I did as I was told and just slid into my seat as our classes started. We only had a few since the sports festival was today, and again. I wasn't planning on winning, I just wanted to do my best, and rest assured, I'm gonna give it my all!