38

The Christand estate――parlour.
The rain-soaked Kreschenta had bathed, changed and is now seated here.
Bogan and Selene sat across from her while Bery stood at Kreschenta's side.

"......you doubt me?"
"No......absolutely not, your highness."

Bogan shook his head.
The king had been assasinated.
The princess had gone into hiding, then showed up here.

The natural course of action is to shelter her and Bogan does not believe there is any other option.
Without any prior information at all, Gildanstein would appear to be the usurper.
It is completely reasonable to assume that he took the king's life to take the throne by force.
Kreschenta would be the poor princess caught up in that.
Appointed by the king as his heir, putting her young life at risk――then she showed up here alone.

Her expression looks sad and she seems uneasy.
Kreschenta looked just like a normal, terrified child.

Take her in and take down the ursurper.
It is natural to think like this, but――

'Be very careful. Kreschenta is merciless if you get in its way. Whether you believe me or not, remember what I said......do not be fooled by appearances.'

Gildanstein's words replayed in the back of his mind.

In terms of good or bad, Gildanstein would be bad.
Bogan believes that he could even be called evil.
But they had fought together on the battlefield. Bogan knows him.
Gildanstein is extremely pragmatic, he hates useless things and is undoubtedly a good judge of character.
At the very least, he would not say that as a joke.

This is why Bogan is still unable to figure out Kreschenta.

Bery also seemed to be lost in thought and uneasy since Kreschenta's arrival.

"But I do have a question, why did your highness come to me? Your highness should have other――"
"Because I believed this to be the most suitable choice. I guess you would not know unless I reveal it......it is because of Krische-sama――because of onee-sama."
"Onee-sama......?"

Selene, who had been sitting quietly beside Bogan, spoke up in a confused tone and Kreschenta smiled in reply.
Everyone but Krische is in this room, she had been left in her room.

"Yes, we are actually sisters. I spoke to Argan-sama about this with onee-sama the other day. I requested that she kept this to herself at that time though."

Kreschenta's gaze turned to Bery.
Bery's eyes wandered a little as she nodded.

"......my apologies."
"No......it's fine. That can't be helped."

Bogan shook his head.
This is a topic that cannot be carelessly spoken of.
Bogan would also obey if royalty told him to keep something to himself.

"In the royal family, a baby that does not cry is considered a cursed child...... onee-sama was confined and raised in a certain tower on royal land for a few years after her birth, then brought outside and killed――officially. I was surprised when I saw her on the balcony that day. Of course I have never met her......but our faces are very similar and she was staring at that tower."

Not a lie but not the complete truth.
Kreschenta's natural tone made even Bery, who knew the truth, almost believe her.

"The servant with me at the time recognised her at a glance. Apparently, she was formerly in charge of caring for onee-sama...... she was also the person that told me about onee-sama. I went to meet her that day because I was elated."

Kreschenta lowered her eyes sadly.

"I should not have done that......margrave, did oji-sama (T/N: Uncle) perhaps tell you about cursed children?"
"That is......"
"I was also almost killed for not crying when I was born. Of course, because I was seen as a cursed child. It seemed to have been a misunderstanding and I was raised as the princess but......"