chapter 7.

This is a long chapter, apologies. This is gonna be the angsty lot, so with that being said...

TW!! BE WARNED
Contains mentions of death, drug usage, and alcohol usage.

I'll tell you when to start the song :))

~ { Ω } ~
Will's POV
~ { Ω } ~

Aurora had officially been living here for two weeks, and up until now everything seemed fine. Every morning, they would be up making breakfast for us, usually something easy, like breakfast burritos. She would soon after take a shower, then disappear to their bedroom. Sometimes, I would even hear guitar coming from her room, and I assumed she would be playing.

Today, however, was different.

Much different.

I walked into the kitchen, brushing through my hair with my hands, and bunched my eyebrows in confusion with the lack of Aurora's presence. If it wasn't for the fact that she had obviously made coffee, the coffee maker still holding some, I would've assumed she was sleeping in.

I knocked on their bedroom door, growing worried.

"Aurora? You ok?" I asked, letting my anxiousness seep into my voice. My question was answered with silence, but I swore I heard a hiccup from inside.

"...At least let me in. I know you're awake." I said, leaning my head against the door.

I heard some shuffling from inside the room, and she opened the door a moment later. Their eyes were puffy, having clearly just been crying, and they looked exhausted. Despite this, she had a cheerful smile on.

"Morning, Will." She said, still smiling despite the tear that escaped.

I frowned slightly, "I'm here to talk if you want to rant to someone. Of course, I won't force you to unless you're comfortable with it."

(A/N: start "Sober Haha Jk Unless" by Hospital Bracelet now)

Her smile faltered, and she looked at the ground, stepping to the side and motioning me in. As I walked in, I heard a song playing, one that sounded vaguely familiar.

I held out my arms for a hug, and she seemed to consider it for a moment before shaking her head no.

"So," she started, taking a deep breath. "What did Phil tell you about why I moved here? He told you something, I just need to know the extent to your knowledge." It was almost like she was demanding an answer, and I couldn't blame her if it was important.

"On the day you moved in, he told me to be gentle with you because...a tough situation with your family I think," I scrunched my eyebrows together, trying to think of the wording again. "'What happened to her family should never happen to any family.' or something similar." I said, looking over at her.

She nodded lazily, taking a breath before speaking. "Three years ago, my little brother died." She said, her voice wavering. I looked at her, about to apologize for what she went through, when her head snapped up and our eyes met. "I don't need pity, don't even look at me like that," she said, pure anger in her voice. I knew it wasn't directed at me, most likely the repressed emotions she needed to let out.

"I was a mess," she laughed nervously, before continuing. "He died two days after his birthday, two days. I was twenty at the time, but I still couldn't handle my emotions. I felt like a dumbass teenager again, crying until the early hours for weeks. Eventually, I discovered this neat thing called alcohol, and if I drank enough I would forget all about it! It was all temporary, sadly." She looked at the wall, expressing a sad smile.

"Then, I found the weed on my parents dresser. They had been using it a lot, similar to how I was abusing alcohol usage. So, I looked up how to properly smoke weed, and well...according to my parents, I was rambling on about going into the stripper business. Alcohol and weed are a messy combination, apparently any two drugs are."

"The next day, I almost overdosed on painkillers. My mom managed to keep me from going to a psyche ward on the promise that I would get sober. I managed to stay sober for almost two years." She smiled at the accomplishment, before frowning, taking another deep breath and looking to make sure I was listening.

I nodded my head, listening intently. "Then what happened?" I asked, urging her on.

"A month ago," she started again, barely holding onto her tears. I rubbed circles onto her back.

"It's ok to cry," I assured her, giving her a reassuring smile. Her eyes immediately filled with tears, and she was crying into her hands, trying to catch her breath. We sat like this for a few minutes before she calmed down again.

"A month ago," she continued, tears streaking down her face, a few seeping onto her lips. "My parents traveled to Alaska. They loved to travel and hated the idea of being stuck in one place. They asked if I wanted to come with, but I'd never wanted to go to Alaska. I said I would just 'ruin their vacation,' that they deserve a break from me." The sadness in her voice broke my heart.

"According to the investigation, they were on a hike and stepped onto a sandy bluff on a cliff, essentially falling to their death. I—went back home a few hours later, ready to start packing my shit, when I found the wine. My parents loved wine, I called them wine snobs. I drank a little more than two bottles before falling asleep on the bathroom floor. When I woke up, it was like 3AM and I had the worst migraine of my life." She rubbed her temples, as if recalling the pain.

"I realized that I was falling back into my old ways, and when I checked my phone, Phil had called me...a lot. He was worried, and rightfully so, so he recommended I move here. I had already applied for a visa a few years prior, and it had recently been approved, so I wasted no time getting the fuck out." She let out a breath she seemed to be holding, and for the first time since she moved in, I saw her shoulders relax.

When I looked at her face, she looked exhausted. Her eye bags were more prominent than usual, and she was still crying, though very lightly.

"I'm so sorry, you don't deserve any of that shit. And thank you for trusting me with that, I know it's a lot." I said. My voice sounded strange for a moment, like it truly didn't belong in this moment in time.

"Here; lets stay in for a few days. Take a break from the world, ignore everything." I suggested with a smile.

She looked up at me with a genuine smile on her face, the first I'd seen, and nodded, before tackling me in a hug. "Thanks for listening, I've never actually talked about it before," she admitted. Even their voice sounded tired, no, emotionally drained. I'm sure that if one little thing goes wrong, she'll just melt into a puddle of tears.

As I was combing my fingers through her hair, their face buried in my chest, I realized that there was nothing I wanted to do except keep her safe.

She fell asleep, head buried in the same spot, not long after. I stayed with her, letting her sleep without disturbing her rest.

~ { Ω } ~
Word count: 1368
Written: August 10, 2021

Literally, the song is one of my breakdown songs. Let me scream about wanting to get sober and being a disappointment although i'm actually my parents' golden child thanks <333

MMMM PEBBLE BRAIN IS OUT <33333