A Maid's Tale

You did not go out of your room after what happened in the library and you did not hear anything from the mistress also. You heard from the maids attending you that she stayed all day in her office and no one is to disturb her. Seems like you are both avoiding each other. She chickened out! You said to yourself.

You stayed laying on the bed the whole day thinking of what happened last night. Your mind boggles at the situation. Your night with Alcina felt wrong but in some way it feels right also. How about your intimate time  with Bela? Your sexual escapades with Cassandra? Daniela's carnal desires? All of it feels good to you but with their mother, it really got you bad this time. Your mind is a wreck.

The grand chambermaid walk in with your food. As she sets the table for you she started the conversation.

"You seem troubled, son" as she finishes placing the utensils on the table.

"Very much in trouble ma'am." You smiled. You walked to were the food is placed and sit on the chair.

"You can tell me what is bothering you, I might help." she pats you on the head like a mother giving a hand on her child.

"I don't know if I can tell you this. I'm not sure if this appropriate to talk about it." You shyly refused the invitation, she nods.

"You are a lucky man. You know that right?" The old lady smiled. "I have been the sole confidante of Lady Alcina. I almost grew up with her. I know everything about her, everything. Knowing her ladyship acting like unusually recently, I know something is not right with her. It seems like something happened between you two. The maids are talking about it all day. When I try coming to them, they spread out like flies." She chuckles.

"It is a long story ma'am", you smile at the old lady and started eating. "How long have you been staying here in the castle?" You asked in between the clinks of the utensils.

"I've been here for a very long time, dear." The old lady smiled while reminiscing her past within these walls of the castle. "Like other maids, I came here a young woman , around sixteen or seventeen I believed so. I thought living here would be great but when I saw the horrors happening here, I want to get out of here as much as I can. However, the mistress, by that time still has a little of humanity to herself, keeping me from any harm under her wings and I became her maiden." She tells her story. "She confides in me, I console her. By that time she is not that tall. She is average of height, but her charms, it is enticing, very deadly indeed. All of the maids are fighting to be her lover by that time and I don't know why she chose me. Then her daughters came. Miss Bela, Cassandra and Daniela. She became a mother to them after being subjected to the Cadou parasite. Those ladies have so much bloodlust in them and Alcina wasn't able to control them yet at that time and it was truely gruesome. Alcina really wants to have a family of her own but she cannot do so because of their family's illness and as I grew a little older, she let me go. She gave me my own freedom, and I left the castle, I married a gardener working for the Beneviento family and have children, one daughter, two sons. I sent my daughter here but she was slaughtered by Daniela because of one mistake. I grieved for my daughter's loss. Alcina did not let my daughter to be an ingredient to the wine nor turn her to a monster that surrounds the castle at night. She let me bury my daughter. My late husband and I bury her to the cemetery not far from here and later my husband died and was buried beside our daughter. My two sons left the village to get away from the horrors of this place, they want me to take me with them but I refuse. They occasionally sent letters to me so that I wont feel lonely. But I was lonely, I turn to Alcina if she would accept me as a maid again but she offered me a better post at her castle. I became the grand chambermaid, a friend, a mother figure to the maids, and her ladyship sole confidant. I believe that is the summary of my life." She smiled.

You listened to her story while you're eating. Her life's experience turn to be what she is now. Too many hardships she surpass and you know that the old lady is strong-willed. "You have been through much ma'am." you commented about her story, she nods.

"Alright! I need to take my leave, son. Thank you for listening to my story." She cleaned the table and silently leave your room. You did not know that she left a note on the table.

Again, you are alone in the room. You tried to sleep out all your confusion but cannot settle because of your mind troubling you.

You heard a light foot step going near. As it draws near, it felt like heavy steps and it stops in front your room for a couple of minutes. After that you heard the foot steps going far away from your door. It seems like it was Alcina but not with her heeled shoes on. You are not sure why she stopped and stayed in front of your room but it feels like both of you cannot sleep this night, both of you are bothered by the same thing.

Alcina was also bothered on what happened at the library. She played it out as if it really did not matter but it had her sticks and stones. She blamed the liquor for her actions and was not able to work properly in the office. She was looking at nothing for most of the time. She did not think that you will respond and give in also to her desires.

You tried tiring yourself to sleep. You walk around the room, run around, do push ups and stretching however sleep did not come to you. You notice a piece of paper from the table where you ate a while ago, it was left by the grand chambermaid. You checked what is written in it, it was from Bela.

"See me at the Beneviento Estate. I will be visiting aunt Donna there, two days from now.
-Bela"

The eldest is doing something behind her mother's back you presume but you already have a plan brewing on your mind this coming meeting, hoping it will turn out well once executed. You smiled as you settled yourself again for sleep.

The next morning, Alcina joined you for breakfast. Both you and her are silent, only the clinks of the utensils are heard. Checking who will be the one to break the silence. Not even after you finished breakfast no one attempt to talk. After breakfast, you go to the library to read some book to past the time. A maid approach you and informed you that Alcina wants to speak with you, you obliged and went with the maid as what Alcina requests.

Now here you are, in front of Alcina, frozen shut, the latter is not trying to speak also. Her face being covered by the shadow of her hat and the smoke covers from her cigarette.

"Sooooooo...you called for me?" You initiated the conversation, your hand scratching the back of your head.

Her hand that is holding the cigarette moves to her face in a few seconds and blows a cloud of smoke. You heard her taking a deep breath before she speaks. "About what happened in the library...." she takes another deep breath.

"I do not regret what happened to us, that night at the library." She finally got the courage to state her case.

"It all happened because we were both drunk that night." You smiled as if you are not bothered.

She nodded. "You are right!" Alcina stands up and walks in circle. "Because we were drunk that night." Her cigarette is swaying in the air while repeating the same sentence. It looks like she is justifying your motion, totally agreeing to your words.

She settles in front of her desk and looks at your reaction. You displayed a platonic face as if everything that happened that night is nothing to you but actually your mind is a scram right now.

Before you leave her office, you informed her that you will visit Donna, one of these days, to reciprocate the visit. She agrees and did not suspect about it.