08. Awkward Love

Maddie

The team walked into the den looking ashamed. At least I did. Nia was taking the whole bad dancer persona to a new level. I understood that she dances best on her left leg and the majority of us dance best on our right, so we all dance on our right leg, but Nia just needs to adjust.

We were dancing in another studio this week and Abby said something about a special guest. It was great timing for another person to be dancing with us this week considering Vivi-Anne and Cathy weren't here.

Chloe was on the bottom of the pyramid this week. And on top of that, she wasn't given a solo. Nia was right next to her on the pyramid. Not surprised. I pretty much zoned out until I heard her call my name. She told me stuff about my costume, my grace, blah, blah, blah. But there was someone above my photo and I couldn't help but think who it was.

Then she told us hat we were doing a group dance called Snapshot. She also told us that there was going to be a boy in the dance. Most of us were looking at Brooke since she crushes on every boy in the studio. It turns out it was...

Chloe

Brandon! Everyone in the studio knows that Brooke and Brandon used to like each other. I think they dated. It certainly got my mind off the fact that I didn't have a solo. Of all the week where I could be discovered, Florida was the place. But at least Nia got one. She really needed to redeem herself after what happened last week.

Maddie

While Chloe and Paige were spending time together on Brooke's date, I had to practice my solo. It seems fun sometimes not to dance, but Abby told me that they're lazy and don't want first place.

-

We were all at Abby's hotel today to rehearse for the pageant. I won a title last week, so I was feeling pretty confident. Mackenzie couldn't remember her favorite acro trick, Paige and Chloe keep stuttering, Nia didn't know what heritage meant and Brooke can't walk straight.

-

Chloe

Finally Cathy and Vivi-Anne graced us with her presence. They missed their flight, which was two days ago, which I didn't understand, but I'm not exactly a math expert. Then she was going on and on about Vivi not getting enough opportunities. But, she's a kind girl, when she actually talks to us, but she doesn't pick up the choreography quick enough.

"And the only reason your daughter was on the swing, was because she coulnd't do what the other kids were doing!"

Even though it was kind of rude of Kelly to say that in front of Vivi, it was true. It was like she didn't even try. She couldn't even do a cartwheel before Brooke taught her how.

-

Maddie

Today, Abby allowed us to have some fun and go to her house. We played with Broadway Baby most of the time until we went out to the pool. Once again Cathy wasn't here. All of us were playing the pool while Christi and Kelly were drinking water they got from a weird looking bottle. Then Abby brought out the watermelon. The point of the watermelon game was to take it out of the water. But the watermelon was one, heavy, and two, covered in grease.

"Uh oh. Time for competition," Chloe said.

"It's still a fun game," I said trying to cheer her up.

"Says the girl who always wins," Paige sneered. Jeez, jealous much?

We all got our goggles on and tried to get the watermelon. Nia got it first, then Nia got it out of her hands. I swam after Nia but she was swimming faster than I was. It wasn't fair, so I hit my knee by the edges of the pool. Childish, yeah I know.

"Mom!" I called out. "My knee."

But she wasn't buying my act. She told me not to play rough. I pouted.

"You hurt me," I said to Nia.

"No I didn't," Nia said quietly.

"Liar."

-

While I was practicing my dance at the competition, I noticed a girl who was watching me. Juliana. We competed against each other a lot of times. Out of the ALDC, that girl is my biggest competition.

While I was getting a drink, her and and her mom came up to Mackenzie and I.

"Are you a good tumbler?" My mom asked. I doubt it. Kenzie's probably better than her. Of the dances I've seen, she keeps bending her knees during her turns. Amateur.

"Does it really matter who wins or does it really matter who has fun?"

Really lady? "I don't really care if I donn't win," I said, trying to sound modest.

-

Turns out I was the only one who qualified in the pageant. I would think that at least Paige or Chloe got in with their long legs. After my dance, I changed for the interview portion. Gianna mustv'e smelt my fear, because he gave me a huge pep talk before I went on stage.

"You've been in pageants for a long time. You know how to do this. Some of them have probably never spoken in front of the judges before, right?"

"Right."

I heard Juliana on stage, and she didn't even stutter. Now my nerves were really getting to me. Then it was my turn. Here goes nothing.

"Good evening ladies, gentlemen and judges. My name is Maddie, I am eight years old, and I'm from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I hope you enjoy my e- my performance this evening. Thank you."

Well that was awful. I tried not to cringe on stage. I bet Juliana is grinning right now on how she has this in the bag.

-

"Ladies and gentlemen, our first runner up is... Juliana!"

I grinned as wide as possible, but I was also very confused. She didin't mess up once.

"And your winner is... Maddie!" My mom squeezed my hand as we went up for my trophy. I think it was taller than me.

-

After I got my trophy, I went to the dressing room to get ready for the group dance. Brooke and Brandon were sitting right next to each other and Brooke probably looks like this everyday, but she was miserable.

As I was doing the dance, I saw Brooke and Brandon, and they didn't even look at each other.

Then all of a sudden, Brandon keeps yelling at his mom that he wants to leave. Weirdo. Miss Abby was probably going to blame him anyway. Good for Brandon because our dance didn't even place.

Then after Nia got first for her solo, Abby made an announcement.

"So I have a little more news. I think your moms are gonna fall off their chairs,"

"Oh god, what?" Kelly groaned.

"We're going from here to Vegas to Los Angeles, California and to Lake Tahoe."

All of us squealed and Mackenzie went on about meeting famous people until Cathy said that she wasn't going on the road with us. I guess that's the end of Cathy.